Advice Needed: Vox AC15HW1 or AC15HTV?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarshaman, Feb 7, 2012.

1. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it. I've narrowed my search down to one of these for my new (used) amp, and I've got a line on a used combo version of both for about $750 each. Any pros or cons of one or the other? Is the EF86 channel as must have? I've also read that the AC15HW1's are made better than the Heritage series. Any truth to that? Reliability is an issue since I'll be gigging with it. I'd appreciate any and all comments, because if I don't pull the trigger soon they'll probably both be gone... I've also thought a lot about the boutique market, but even at $750, I am maxed out budget-wise. Plus I don't think I would ever want to bring a $2000 amp into some of the clubs I play at! :drink
    Thanks!

2. mAx___

mAx___ Member

By all means get the HW1. Very hard to find used -and that is a pretty good price.

3. bassethound

bassethound Member

I've owned both, still own the HW1, but I really miss the EF86 channel on the Heritage. I don't think you can go wrong either way, JMHO.

4. surfhard

surfhard Supporting Member

My bandmate has had the Heritage for about 3 years and has not had any problems and sounds really good to me. He's never even changed the first tube.

I've had the AC15HW1 for about a year with no issues and I'm happy. I can't tell much difference between the 2 as we play loud.

Play them both with your guitar and pedalboard if possible.

Sounds like good prices on both.

good luck

5. jayn

jayn Member

They are both great. If you play a Strat or a Tele, the EF86 channel is pretty cool.

6. jlott

jlott Member

HW1 for sure! I recently heard the heritage AC30 and they just do not sound as good. As far as build quality, who knows. I am sure some snobs might like the prettier circuit in the newer HW1. I personally love the new HW series and a tele or p90 equipped guitar cranked through the normal channel is great. Good luck.

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I've owned both and they are both great amps.

I did change the cone (to a Mueller H1777) on my H1TV to make it sound like a UK Celestion Blue. If you go with the H1TV, invest in a NOS Mullard for the EF86 channel (perhaps the JJ EF806 is better than the stock JJ EF86.)

8. guitarshaman

Thanks for the replies, fellas! I decided to pull the trigger on the AC15HW1. $740 shipped and paypal'd. In excellent condition with the cover, footswitch, and a set of JJ power tubes in there. Can't beat that!

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

congrats and a nice deal. To me it is the better amp but just because of the master and the normal channel. The heritage is a nice flavour to add...

10. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

If you see another deal like that on the HW1, please PM me. I'll forever sing your praises.

11. GregWV

GregWV Member

I'm waiting on my local shop for my HW1. I'm so excited - should have it this week. I currently have an AC15C1 that I have had for about a year. I really like this amp and the Greenback speaker. I hear that the HW1 sounds even better.

12. ken374

ken374 Member

pls do a review on both:munch

13. guitarshaman

You got it! Although once I get the amp and one more guitar, I promised myself that I'd quit the buying/selling for a bit... we'll see how long that lasts!