• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Advice on 8" speakers

pcovers

I am having an AB763 circuit based amp built (20 watt I think), but a slight twist is i am having it built in a 4 x 8 combo configuration. I am looking for any first hand experience on some "full" sounding 8" speakers. This is a bit of an experiment for me, but I don't need another 10" or 12" based configuration. I am gambling it will give me a bit of a 410 vibe in a more manageable size.

Who has experience with 8" speakers that have full spectrum reproduction?

Ryan

I've never played an 8 that I liked. Then again, I've never played a 4x8 either.

teleache

You'll have a hard time getting your cabinet to go below 100 hurtz, That's why 4x8 go so well with harp players. You could try to tune your cabinet ? For tighter fatter low's in an open back, don't make the openning larger than 32 sq. inches. That 4x8 of speaker cone area. Very interesting concept for guitar cabinet !

Catoogie

The appeal of having 8" speakers is the sound and frequencies they emit. You're missing the point of them if you're tying to make them somehting they're not, i.e. 'fuller sounding'.

By the way, I LOVE the idea of a 4x8, even better why not go for a 6x8? THAT would be thee ****!!

Derelict

the jensen MOD 8" is a very full, and big sounding 8" speaker. sounds like halfway between an 8" and a 10"

71Model

The appeal of having 8" speakers is the sound and frequencies they emit. You're missing the point of them if you're tying to make them somehting they're not, i.e. 'fuller sounding'.

By the way, I LOVE the idea of a 4x8, even better why not go for a 6x8? THAT would be thee ****!!
Oh yeh! I got a 6-10 Silvertone cab that is crazy cool. Of course it's being pushed with 4-6l6's 1485. I play a Vibro Champ and the 8" is suprisingly full of good sound. I had thought a few years ago, I'd like to build a homemade amp with 2-8's or 4-8's, If it would be similar to having 4 Vibro Champs, that'd be Awesome!

For ohm value, getting 3.2 ohms, wire 2pairs in series then parallel?

SatelliteAmps

I've got an 8x8, and have done a few 4x8's. Speaker choice is critical, and you may have to go through a few different sets to find the correct ones for your concept. The last one we did used some of the Weber 8A150's, which have a really good frequency response. It's a good sounding cabinet, but nothing close to a 4x10.

Also, there isn't really a guitar amp speaker that has "full spectrum reproduction." You can find some hi-fi speakers that do, but most people don't like how hi-fi speakers sound as guitar speakers.

Trending Topics