Advice on a brighter, tighter fuzz pedal needed

speedtaco

Hoping to get some quick suggestions/advice on a fuzz pedal. I have a regular EH Big Muff, just one of those big silver ones. It’s pretty good, but it’s really the only type of fuzz I’ve had and know.
My band mate recently bought a Wampler velvet fuzz. I messed around and got a pretty good sound out of it. I like how tight the fuzz is compared to the big muff, which I consider a scattered (for lack of a better term) fuzz. The problem I have with the Wampler is there’s not enough treble even with the pedal knob and guitar tone dimed. I typically use/prefer the neck pick up when I use fuzz.
Thanks!

Borealis

Gold Supporting Member
Big Muffs usually have a lot of mids scooped out and can be very bass heavy, especially if you play mostly on the neck pickup.
Perhaps a Tone Bender-type will suit you better. They normally have more mid and high-mid content.

Check out Basic Audio - John Lyons makes some truly fabulous fuzz pedals.
His Scarab Deluxe is very versatile and is a good place to start. His Supa MK1 is a Tone Bender-style fuzz that gets a lot of love.

Funky54

Big Muffs usually have a lot of mids scooped out and can be very bass heavy, especially if you play mostly on the neck pickup.
Perhaps a Tone Bender-type will suit you better. They normally have more mid and high-mid content.

Check out Basic Audio - John Lyons makes some truly fabulous fuzz pedals.
His Scarab Deluxe is very versatile and is a good place to start. His Supa MK1 is a Tone Bender-style fuzz that gets a lot of love.

I’ll second this advice. I am not an expert on fuzz by any stretch, but I tried about ten different ones and the Scarab to me, is an all things fuzz wrapped up in a bow.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Ramble FX Twinbender for that. There’s a lot of great sounds in that box and for a fuzz it’s pretty versatile.

Voodoo Soul Blues

Silver Supporting Member
I highly recommend the Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace.
It has a tone control, but even without boosting the mids it is tighter, brighter and fatter than your standard big muff.
It really sings ala David Gilmour if that’s what you are looking for.
I know those three don’t normally go together but in this case it’s true (tight, bright, fat).
It is a really sweet sounding pedal with no tone suck in bypass mode.
It has a ton of gain and is very quiet.
It is definitely in the “keeper” pile.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
The problem I have with the Wampler is there’s not enough treble even with the pedal knob and guitar tone dimed. I typically use/prefer the neck pick up when I use fuzz.

I'd advise you to try out a pedal that isn't a muff variant.

I'd say Tonebender and Fuzzface are the other 2 of the big 3 fuzz families (if you wanted to limit it to three). @ChampReverb mentioned Magnetic Effects and they make some nice pedals for sure including a "bender" type. The White Atom is a Fuzz Face type and the Lonely Robot is RAT-ish.

Another company work looking into is JDM pedals. They make a bender, a fuzz face and also a really nice, clear, articulate version of the Harmonic Percolator called the Little Steamer.

Those two companies are a bit more affordable but it's also hard to go wrong sampling fuzzes from Basic Audio as @Borealis already mentioned. Skreddy is also a favorite around here (and for good reason imo).

It's possible you might like a bender type as @cj_wattage suggested... but check out the ClusterFuzz too while you're at it...

so many options. Good luck!

Top Bottom