Advice on a compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gbsmusic, Jul 31, 2008.

1. gbsmusic

gbsmusic Member

I getting ready to buy a compressor and I would like to know what people like. I've heard good things about Analogman, after getting the Analogman chorus pedal and liking it so much I'm leaning in that direction. Any input? Thanks.

2. jcat

jcat Member

I personally use a Barber tone press. However, search a few models on this forum and you'll find lots of info. Keeley , Diamond, Analogman, ... almost every pedal maker makes a compressor.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

+1 on the above. Do a search and read all you can cuz comps can vary big time. If you want help, tell us about your current rig and what style of music you intend to use it for.

4. Cado

Cado Member

I have an AM Chorus & an AM Comp. I love 'em both.

5. tmd187

tmd187 Member

+1 Love my AM 3 Knob Small CompRosser. From my years on TGP, you'll probably come to find that the most popular is the Barber Tone Press. I've personally never played one, but a hell of a lot of people on this forum and others sure have, and they all seem to love it! It's fun searching for pedals, so I hope you find what you are looking for!

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

For guitar, and for versatiity: Barber Tone Press

For Bass: BBE Opto Stomp

I can't say enough how awesome the tone press is for guitar.

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It's hard to pinpoint a compressor pedal for you based on the information you've given. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything - just that users here use compression for such a wide variety of different reasons. I've used the Barber TP, Diamond Comp, and Rt66 Comp and each of them produce a different effect that still falls in the compression category but does a different job. I guess for the most part, these would be the categories I would break it down to:

If you want a pedal that adds a bit of punch to your sound and brings out the notes a little more/make your sound more 'alive', The Barber Tone Press is a good way to go.

If you want a pedal that is more subtle but allows you to round out your sound and ability to EQ what you want to hear more, look into the Diamond Compressor.

If you have the funds and want a real transparent compressor, look into the BJFe PGC.

9. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I agree different compressors for different needs. Analogman's juicer is an amazing thick juicy compressor that will color your tone and even give it some grit. It worked great when I had a Marshall that had a thinner clean channel, but was overdoing it when I got my Bogner Shiva which already has a pretty compressed tone as is so I switched to a Diamond.

Have to respectfully disagree about the BJFe PGC - to my ears it colored the tone more than the Diamond or the Tone Press.

10. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

11. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Having had the standard boss & mxr offerings and the BJF PGC this is my fave...

Telenordia TK23

Being an opto compressor with a dry feed control it doesn't completely squash your dynamics and the germanium richness it adds is worth it even if you're using minimal compression.

It's the closest thing I've found to classic outboard studio compressors in a pedal.

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I've heard good things about those Telanordia pedals and the germanium trasnistors in em... one of these days...

13. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Hahahahahaha. Nice.

I've got the Analogman Bicomp. I have the large one (but think the small one is nicer - big one takes up too much space I think!).

Keep in mind if you're using Humbuckers, IMO, t he Orange Squeezer (at least the AMan one) isn't such a good choice.

But the Ross side is great. It does roll off some highs but I'm not so much fussed about that. It's a really warm compressor I think. Very nice.

Just remember, when you get a compressor you need to give it a chance! Play with it on for a few weeks, then turn it off, then see if you like it!

14. gbsmusic

gbsmusic Member

I have a Bogner Ecstacy, Eventide Timefactor, analogman chorus, bbe preamp, and a G. Teese wah, and I'm into basicly 80's metal up to some of the stuff that out now on the metal scene, I also play mellow things clean. I was told that a compressor can help harmonics jump out and help over all tone?