Advice on a possible vintage Traynor purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Crow, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Howdy-

I can pick-up a 1976 Traynor YGL-3 Mark 3 2x12 combo for $350. The guy says it's in very good shape, very little use over the years.

It's a bit of a drive, about 1.5 hours, so I'm looking for some opinions.

I know this SOB is heavy, as in 75 pounds heavy. I'm kind of on the fence, mostly about the weight but also having a 3 hour round trip in front of me.

But if this amp gets some rave reviews here, and if some folks say it's a no-brainer for both the price and the quality, I'll start lifting some weights and just buy the thing.

I'm not sure if I want to be talked into this or out of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I have the YGL-3a Mark III head.

It sounds great. Kind of like a Twin that'll break up. I've used it for super clean to metal (with a pedal). The natural gain is suited for classic rock. I've been messing with the bright cap values.....trying to find the perfect mid boost type sound.

It's heavy and build like a tank. The story is that Traynor would take out the tubes, and throw them off a building, put the tubes back in and play it again.

I've never getting rid of mine. $350 is a decent price...especially if it's in good shape. It really is a no-brainer.

3. doc

doc Member

I almost started to laugh when I saw your post, because I've been emailing a guy about possibly buying my Traynor YBA-4 combo and thought for a second you might be him talking about MY amp! You were about to get an earful about what a steal it was!
    Seriously, most vintage Traynors are great amps. I have several others I'm keeping, so I'm not selling mine because its no good. They are not "feature packed", unless you consider killer tone a "feature". They stay fairly clean until pretty loud, and they can get LOUD. You have mentioned both one of the strengths and one of the problems in the same phrase - they are built like tanks, and are are therefore heavy and a pain to lug around. The speakers used with them weren't the best, and they usually tonally benefit from a swap, although they were servicable and usually not blown due to not being able to handle the amp.
    There's a website that goes into details on the models - google "velvet black". Most of them are something of a cross between Fender, Marshall, and Hiwatt. Mine is the combo version of a YBA-1, which is eerily similar in layout to a Marshall Plexi.
    Bottom line is they kick the crap out of anything of recent manufacture going for less than $1500, and give anything for ANY amount some serious competition.
    Hope that helps!

4. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to break out the barbells, get fit and just buy this amp.

If I don't I have a feeling I'll regret it (maybe not so much my back).

I see it's over 10 pounds heavier than my old Super Reverb, but I hope the tone will make up for it.

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

have the caps been replaced?
    What about tubes? Mine had the original Phillips tubes when I bought it.

6. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I'm not sure. The guy said it was running real well, and that it was checked over by the store where he bought it many years ago.

7. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Keep in mind that the caps may be original and potentially started to leak....they may need to be replaced? On the other hand they may be fine? Who knows?

8. MrChet

MrChet Member

I have a 2X12 YGL MK III and 2 heads. They're great amps! I've changed the MV to post PI and it's killer. I drove 3 hours round trip to get my combo too! The only weak point w/ the combo is speakers, IMO. I have a pair of Texas Heat in there now.

9. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

How's your back holding up with the combo? Is it much worse than say a Twin Reverb as far as weight goes?

I'll have to consider the Texas Heats. From everything I've read the speakers really do need changing.

I'm not quite sure- I'm no tech- what the change of the MV to post PI does. Is this difficult for a tech, and does it help the sound very much that it would be worth paying someone to do?