Advice on a R8 (and holding their value)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fgevans, Feb 19, 2015.

1. fgevans

fgevans Member

I am tempted to pick up an R8 as a store near me has one brand new for £2510.

I currently have a Tokai LS160 (based around an R8 ) which i love and a les paul signature T which i also love.

I can afford the R8 but i do have a habbit of getting bored with a guitar and then trading it or selling it a few months later. I have stuck with my tokai though as its a gem.

If i get an R8 and decide to sell it in a years time will i lose a lot on the purchase price or do these guitars hold their value

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

short answer, yes

but that is ANY guitar that you buy new and sell in a couple of years.

buy an old used R8 and the value will already be adjusted. THAT guitar should stick to its value @100%

now that being said... its no reason to pass on an excellent guitar. if that R8 is awesome...get it, rock it, and worry about the potential downfall later.

3. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

All of this.

4. fgevans

fgevans Member

the reason i am tempted is the new price is cheaper than the second hand price on most guitar forums in the uk.

standard R8 price in Uk is £3300 to £3500, this one is £2500.

quick glance at uk ebay shows second hand R8;s from £2350 to £2750

5. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

Thomann has R8s for £2,500 every day of the week.

Edit: I should add that the exchange rate is heavily in your favour. The euro is doing very poorly.

6. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

MusicStore.de have a flame top R8 for £2,444, though you'd have to add a little extra once the credit card company exchange rates are factored in.

7. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Buy a used R8 and you will most likely always get your money back.

This 2.5K GBP is way too much for a plaintop thou. You can get a used plaintop R8 for around 2K.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

if it helps, i'd buy used. i'd only pay 2k-2200 usdollars for a plain top (which i prefer).
    i'm pretty cheap though. . . .

9. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

what he said
    walked away from my computer while posting:aok

10. fgevans

fgevans Member

That price is very tempting - i have a halifax card which does not charge any fees so price of that would be closer to £2430

is it the washed cherry one you are referring to

11. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

If you find one locally that you can try it out and really dig it I say buy it. That said I think prices have hit their high point and will only go down. Gibson continues to produce a lot of them every year and the interest in them (I'm guessing) is decreasing. The age range of those most interested in them is probably 50 -70 and those people will start selling them as they gig/play less and their kids would rather have the money for tuition etc.

Total guess but my 2 cents.

12. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Nothing helps resale value more (on anything) than getting a good used deal.

13. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

That's the one. They do individual photos for some of their more expensive guitars so hopefully it's not just a stock set - the top on that one is understated but very nice indeed.