• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Advice on a simple lightweight tube amp

ElectroDux

So my main (now only) amp is a Fender Vibrolux and I do love the way its sounds but it's quite loud for the venues I'm playing and also IMO heavy. So I looking of a second amp that I can use to for gigs at the smaller clubs we play at. Since I get all my dirt and verbs (and everything else) from my pedal board I really don't need any onboard effects or channel switching. All I need is a clean-ish all tube amp that is loud enough for stage volume and won't pull my arm out of socket during load in.

swiveltung

A non reverb BF Deluxe. A pure tone king for sure. And a bargain comparatively. I have both a BFDR and BFD and have been using the plain Deluxe for about a year while the BFDR sits. Just a wonderful thick tone compared with the BFDR and smaller and a bit lighter. The pre amp is simpler than the BFDR. I often found the Vibrolux too loud to use at many of my gigs also. I've had several Princetons, but find they get too nasty at some gigs.

joevacc

Funny, I am in the same boat. My Custom Vibrolux Reverb is the best damn amp I have ever owned but it is proving to be too loud in certain situations.
I just posted a thread asking opinions on a Princeton Reverb circuit that I would like to build. I think I can keep the costs to around $500ish.

zZounds.com has these open box deals and sometimes blemished units discounted even more... I have had great luck finding the best deal I can on the internet, then calling instead of clicking and always get even more $ off! Don't accept the first offer either. ;~) They will work with you.

I keep my pedalboard very simple with a Klone, OD and a tuner so the tremolo and reverb are desirable to me. The one thing about the Vibrolux with 'verb and trem, is that I could certainly leave my pedals home and sometimes I do. Or, in the case that the pedals stop working I can happily plug right in.

The Princeton Reverb has really been looking like an ideal platform. Mic'd up - no room is too big either.

Good luck, I am very interested in what others suggest.

ElectroDux

If all your dirt is from pedals, why not just turn the Vibrolux down?
I find that as it gets under 2 (which is still quite loud) its does not sound as good and it's a lot amp to haul around when clearly I could have something smaller and lighter for the smaller venues.

wyatt

Unfortunately, tube amps require transformers, which add weight. The more output, the larger the required iron.

Your 35-watt Vibrolux Reverb should be around 40 lbs. The "clean" options bottom out at the non-verb 12-watt Princeton at just under 30 lbs. If you need something inbetween, it'll weight in-between or more; Fenders are relatively light amps compared to many brands,...20-watt Mesa combo? 40 lbs....12-watt AC15 1x12 combo? 50 lbs!

If I wanted affordable, lightweight, clean tones, I would go solid state (Quilter, Roland, etc.)

Last edited:

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
A SF or BF Vibrolux Reverb with the original speakers never seemed heavy to me, especially before the velcro'ed grillcloth and ply cabs. My SFDR's with D-120's weigh more. A typical Marshall 2x12 combo is 70lbs or more…
A Princeton with a decent speaker is not going to be night and day with a VR, much lighter would be a Champ…

ElectroDux

A SF or BF Vibrolux Reverb with the original speakers never seemed heavy to me, especially before the velcro'ed grillcloth and ply cabs. My SFDR's with D-120's weigh more. A typical Marshall 2x12 combo is 70lbs or more…
A Princeton with a decent speaker is not going to be night and day with a VR, much lighter would be a Champ…

Seems heavy to me esp when load-in requires going up a flight of stairs add to that I never am just carrying the amp and nothing else usually is amp in one hand pedal board in the other and 1-2 guitars in gig bags.

Champ I already have its not loud enough to work tho.

swiveltung

Another option is the Tweed Harvard. Good pedal platform, cleaner than a 5E3. Build one with a 12" speaker.

AL30

Buy an SVT. Everything after that will be lightweight and quiet. :D

A Vox AC15 is a handy little amp to have around.

TweeDLX

Get a Quilter TB101. Not a tube amp. doesn't sound like one either. Sounds great as it is. 50W, 4 pounds, $300. Great with pedals.

ElectroDux

Buy an SVT. Everything after that will be lightweight and quiet. :D

A Vox AC15 is a handy little amp to have around.
No thanks the wife had a SVT back in the day after loading that into Coney Island High once that thing got sold.

Trending Topics