Advice on a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stuey222, Jul 22, 2008.

1. stuey222

stuey222 Member

So I'm in the early stages of getting a new guitar and I'm leaning towards a strat. I'm thinking of selling my 5150 combo and my Floyd strat and using that money and adding a bit to it to get a nicer strat around $1000-$1500. I've been looking at the American Standard, Vintage '57, or Eric Johnson strat. Any advice from any of you. I know I need to play a few and plan to do that when I get back to Nashville in August, just trying to get a jump start on this thing, so I can have the guitar before I really get into my guitar lessons next semester.

I'm looking for a vintage voiced strat with tons of those bell-like tones and a maple fretboard. I love the weight and sound of an ash guitar, but I'll go with alder if that's all I can find. I prefer a nitro finish as well. I need it to be very easy to play and sound good, not great, just good.

So, any thoughts?

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

for just a tad over the 1500 bucks you might be able to get a custom shop strat...if you do a little hunting on ebay. I was able to get a custom shop 1960 relic and it is the best strat I ever owned.....

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Find a used EJ Strat. Take a light-grain steel wool to the back of the neck if it has the sticky/plastic bag-feel thing going on. It'll be head and antlers above an American Standard, or even an AV57.

jb

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's good advice, and EJ has a bit of an ash body type sound to me. All the ones I've played have had a very scooped and a light, resonant quality. Some were a little too scooped in the mids and just thin, but search for a good one. Then rid the neck of the goopy feel.

5. shngn7

shngn7 Member

The American Deluxe Ash strat is amaaaaaazing. I love the sound of a nice ash body on a strat. I ended up getting the special edition lite ash since I couldn't afford the deluxe and am every bit as happy.

6. uOpt

uOpt Member

The EJ is a great deal used.

Just make sure it's the Strat you want. It has V-neck and SSS routing, it doesn't accomodate all tastes.

If you want to go a simple American Standard I have to advise buying used. Prices used are so much lower than new for these that you would take too large a hit if you have to re-sell it.