advice on adding a remote switch jack to a pedal

blujosh

i'm looking to add an additional jack to my EHX SuperEgo so that i can switch it remotely with something like a momentary switch pedal like a Boss FS-5U.

has anyone here done this to their SuperEgo, or any similar pedals with momentary switches?

if so, could you kindly offer some advice/instruction?

JCM 800

Remote switching can be done but it's not a simple mod. It involves using relays instead of a hard switch.

blujosh

Remote switching can be done but it's not a simple mod. It involves using relays instead of a hard switch.
there isn't a way to just wire a TS jack to the existing switch (or the wires going to that switch) so that i could connect the pedal to a boss FS-5U with a regular guitar cable?

JCM 800

there isn't a way to just wire a TS jack to the existing switch (or the wires going to that switch) so that i could connect the pedal to a boss FS-5U with a regular guitar cable?

Nope. Switching on most pedals does not work that way.

dickjonesify

The SuperEgo's switch is just 2 wires, unlike many 3PDT switched true bypass pedals. This would be a simple mod.

You would want to use an isolated 1/4" jack, though. The ground of the switch contacting the chassis would not work.

blujosh

The SuperEgo's switch is just 2 wires, unlike many 3PDT switched true bypass pedals. This would be a simple mod.

You would want to use an isolated 1/4" jack, though. The ground of the switch contacting the chassis would not work.
could you explain further what you mean by isolated 1/4" jack? and would it be a TS or TRS jack?
thanks!

blujosh

Just a TS jack but one where no metal on the jack touches the metal case of the pedal. I'll post an example...
ok, thanks.
can you also explain why isolation is important in this case? also, would i have to disconnect the existing switch or just pigback at the connection points on that switch to the jack?

dickjonesify

Notice on this one, the threads are plastic...
$_58.JPG

Or this style...
prod_6772315415

Either would work. If you have a TRS jack (because they're easier to find) you would just skip the ring.

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry for the crappy angles, but this is a very simple mod that I did to my superego. All I did was tack two wires onto the original switches existing joints and send them to tip/sleeve of a simple TS jack. This allowed me to run a cable out to a remote momentary switch like a boss FS5U (I think that's what I used). Hope it helps.
null_zps1b147961.jpg
_DSC1526_zps1b50fb21.jpg

_DSC1528_zps0c7b0d91.jpg

dickjonesify

ok, thanks.
can you also explain why isolation is important in this case? also, would i have to disconnect the existing switch or just pigback at the connection points on that switch to the jack?

Just piggyback.

I don't know for sure that is HAS to be isolated but IME, it's been necessary more often that not for mods like this.

You can try with a regular jack.

EDIT: looks like @WWW did it with a non isolated jack so there's your answer.

blujosh

Sorry for the crappy angles, but this is a very simple mod that I did to my superego. All I did was tack two wires onto the original switches existing joints and send them to tip/sleeve of a simple TS jack. This allowed me to run a cable out to a remote momentary switch like a boss FS5U (I think that's what I used). Hope it helps.
null_zps1b147961.jpg
_DSC1526_zps1b50fb21.jpg

_DSC1528_zps0c7b0d91.jpg
awesome. thanks to both of you. WWW, can you tell me which jack you used (ie. which model/where you bought it)? is it isolated as dickjonesify described? if not, have you had any problems with the switching at all?

Gold Supporting Member
awesome. thanks to both of you. WWW, can you tell me which jack you used (ie. which model/where you bought it)? is it isolated as dickjonesify described? if not, have you had any problems with the switching at all?

Sorry Josh, I bought that jack at a local electronics shop here in Japan. The space is kind of tight unless you go through the side (but then interferes with 90 degree guitar cables if used in the existing jacks). I would take the pedal to radio shack and test fit some jacks. I used metal/non isolated and had no issues. It worked perfectly.

blujosh

finally got around to trying out this mod, so thought i'd post an update.

so... i drilled out the case and wired a non-isolated jack to the original switch.
@dickjonesify , it looks like you were right (at least for my pedal).
the non-isolated jack was causing the switch to short. mode would just stay stuck on or off when power was applied. as soon as i unscrewed the new jack from the case, the pedal would act normally again, and the new jack worked as expected with my boss fs5u pedal, but only when it wasn't connected to the case.

i'm going to be ordering a new isolated jack today.
@dickjonesify , can you tell me which model from this page you would recommend?
thanks in advance!

dickjonesify

finally got around to trying out this mod, so thought i'd post an update.

so... i drilled out the case and wired a non-isolated jack to the original switch.
@dickjonesify , it looks like you were right (at least for my pedal).
the non-isolated jack was causing the switch to short. mode would just stay stuck on or off when power was applied. as soon as i unscrewed the new jack from the case, the pedal would act normally again, and the new jack worked as expected with my boss fs5u pedal, but only when it wasn't connected to the case.

i'm going to be ordering a new isolated jack today.
@dickjonesify , can you tell me which model from this page you would recommend?
thanks in advance!

This one

Trending Topics

Top Bottom