Advice On Finding Others to Jam With

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by orodgers, Feb 28, 2008.

1. orodgers

orodgers Member

First of all, I'm not a great player by any means. I play for fun, with the hope of someday doing small gigs with a few people that I've gained as friends. I practice regularly, but find that playing with the guy down the street teaches me more than anything else. In five minutes, I can learn something from him that would take me days to learn on my own. The problem is that he doesn't play much at all (only when he gets lots of beer in him).

Playing with other people would be a wonderful thing for me, but there's the problem. I don't trust just anybody around my gear. I have several nice guitars including a vintage hollow body that my uncle left me and I want to keep them safe. I have a really good friend who made a living playing for 15 years or so who is always willing to give me advice on playing, but his skill is so far beyond mine that playing along side him would be impossible. Not to mention he wouldn't.

How do you find individuals in your area to play with who are trustworthy and have as much to lose as you do? Especially when you're at a lower skill level than that of those who normally have nice gear?

2. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

I'm kinda in the same boat. Fortunately for me, I'm on a Big Ten campus and there's plenty of people to mingle with.

I don't think you should go about throwing yourself at other people, essentially asking them for lessons. Make friends with them first. Bring up music in conversation, stuff like favorite bands, concerts, etc... If you learn to trust them and are friends with them, that should also solve your gear issue. Just kinda make it clear that you're jamming as friends and that it's nothing serious with plans for the future.

You try asking around these boardsor harmony-central or something (forget u-g) for people willing to jam? Obviously don't bring your expensive equipment if you do find something, but there have got to be some people on here that you know you can trust.

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

Go to open mics. Get to know some of the guys. When you find some interested parties do a little investigating.

5. orodgers

orodgers Member

Thanks for the reply(s). I'm not looking for lessons from individuals at all, more just people to learn with, not just from. The problem is making friends with people who play before playing with them. Maybe that sounds weird, but my town/small city is backwards. Very few people I know care about music much at all.

6. speedobreedo

speedobreedo Supporting Member

Hey, where are you in Indiana? There's quite a few of us from the Hoosier state on here.

7. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Lessons? Who metioned lessons.

Craigslist has people looking to play with others

Yoe email someone to strike up a line of gommunication
    and it you feel good about it you take it to the next level.
    Be careful as there are plenty of people that are nuts out there.

If possible I like the "taking it to the next level" at some jam.

But there are plenty of people out there just like you.

Craigslist. It's free

8. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

To clarify, I think my point about lessons was taken out of context.

I was saying that while you may not actually be looking for lessons, some people may take it the wrong way and believe you are.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

One of the first jams I went to on Craigslist worked out pretty well. The guy was older and had alot of gear. He just told me to bring the beer and I could use his stuff. So there wasn't alot of risk (besides my life I suppose).

If you are concerned, just meet at Guitar Center and jam. Unlimited gear and it's pretty public. When it was nicer out, I'd meet people acoustic at a local park.

When I was in school, I put up a few flyers around campus looking for people to jam with. Found quite a few people and met some nice friends. Also some jerks. But my suitemates were happy since I wasn't playing so loud in the room anymore.

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I took it like you want to jam.

What kind of stuff do you like to play??

11. orodgers

orodgers Member

Thanks for the replies.

I live in east central Indiana. I really like playing anything that I can make sound halfway decent with a little work. That said, the list of what I can play is not as long as I'd like it to be. What I'd like to play is pretty much blues/rock based. I'm into Jam Bands, classic rock, blues, and some jazz (much respect for it). Honestly, if I'm learning/having a good time, I don't care what I'm playing.

12. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Looks like you've written your ad for Craigslist. I would add "Just looking for others to get together to Jam."

Good luck.

Also check out http://openmikes.org/

13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I carry my guitar everywhere. People ask me to sit in. I do. About 50% of my playing out happens this way.

Craigslist has been very good to me.

I meet people at shows. We compare interests, swap emails and jams appear. Then gigs.

Etc.

Be fearless.

Good luck, DS