Advice on high end/custom guitar case companies

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmenary, Jun 14, 2008.

1. bmenary

bmenary Member

Hey guys- Well, I am looking for input from anyone who has had a custom guitar case built. I have a few nice clean old gibson's that merit a nice storage/travel case a 58 TV a 59 Special and a 62 LPJR- Does anyone have recommendations? I am looking for traditional outside and inside materials not flight case materials- So far I have found these -

http://www.caltoncases.ab.ca/frame_electrics.htm

http://www.ameritage.com/

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

Calton are really nice but cost 1,000 I may spend that, not sure yet- They had a recent 25% increase in pricing and take 6 fricken months to get a case-

I am going to give cedar creek a shot in that they seem to be a notch above a TKL and they are custom fitted which is what I am really looking for- a perfect fit for around 400 with choice options of outside and inside materials, hardware and piping.

Appreciate any leads/input- Thanks

2. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Calton Cases are awesome and definitely provides incredible protection. Very expensive...

3. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I have a Cedar Creek case (came with my Artinger) and it's a FINE case indeed.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. :AOK

4. george4908

george4908 Member

I've had custom cases built from Cedar Creek and Ameritage. Both were excellent. Cedar Creek makes high quality traditonal cases. Ameritage makes high quality modern cases; on the heavy side.

Also had a case made by Harptone, but I'm not sure if they're still in business. They were the gold standard years ago, but my experience was not great.

5. bmenary

bmenary Member

6. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i had calton cases made for my two boutique maker acoustics... i highly recommend them. one thing though, whatever you decide to do, make sure you get inserts that cradle the headstock top and bottom, if the case falls over that's the one place you'll get a break. by the way, from what i remember the price actually was much less than the figure you quote, so i'm not sure if that's because their prices have gone up the past couple years or because there's a discount applied when you buy through one of their sales agents... good luck!

7. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Will your guitars devalue by more than a thousand bucks if you break your headstock? If so, get the Calton. Cheap insurance, built like a safe, and ultra-light. IMHO the best there is.-eric

8. jtodds

jtodds Member

I have an Ameritage case that came with a Mcpherson acoustic that I just got and it is an amazing case. I would have to imagine this case could be rented as a studio apartment downtown in NYC for a grand a month - it is very plush and secure. Highly recommended.

9. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

unless I was a traveling mainstream professional player, I would never buy a Calton Case...I just couldn't justify it. And if that were the case, I doubt I'd take any extremely valuable vintage guitars...I'd reserve those for studio work.

10. Chi

Chi Member

I was in the airport, and saw this girl with the coolest carbon fiber case on her back. She was waiting for her luggage at the baggage claim next to me, so i asked what it was ... and she says "its an Accord". I say cool...thanks it looks real sturdy...so i check em out online. pretty pricey...but they look indestructable.

http://accordcase.com/