1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Power Supply in Australia

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kiongku, May 18, 2011.

1. Kiongku

Kiongku Member

Hi,
    I am new to this board and was going through and searching for a power supply to power my pedals. (8 9v pedals)
    Right now I'm using a 1-spot and wanted to upgrade to a power supply with noise cancellation and surge protection.
    Voodoo lab pp2+ looked like the best suitor but unfortunately the prices for them in Australia is way above what I want to spend as it's half the price in the states. (sadly, pedals bought from the states are only rated for 110v and not the 240v over here)
    I found the BBE charger for slightly cheaper and has an voltage option which I think will work in Australia.
    Can anyone advise me?
    Thank you very much.

2. skipper53

skipper53 Member

You might want to check out http://www.cioks.com/ products, they are proving to a be a very versatile powering solution. And they are 230/110V switchable.

Cheers

3. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

You could try the POWERSTATION power supply from
    www.Diago.co.uk

I think MUSICLINK ( in Australia ) sells them -- but you can order them direct from DIAGO

I bought a Powerstation several years ago in the UK and and now use it in Australia without any problems. ( it is said to power up to 30 pedals !! )
    It works worldwide.

I use it on my pedalboard with any mixture of USA pedals and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

4. baggas

baggas Member

+1 on CIOKS.
    Switchable voltage. Very versatile and powerful. Absolutely quiet.

Buy it from the US on eBay to save big $$ compared to local prices in Australia.

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If you're looking at moving to isolated outputs, the Diago won't cut it (it's a switching type daisy chain supply, just like the 1spot). The PP2+ is only made for specific voltages, so you're pretty much left to ordering one from your own market (or in your case the euro market as well), which can make it a quite expensive affair.

The BBE Supa-charger has most of the features of the PP2+, but with a voltage selector (so you can even import one from the US if you like). The Cioks professional line (DC10, AC10 and the coming DC/AC8) also has voltage selectors, which is nice.

6. reaction105

reaction105 Member

I'm in Australia too, and I've been through the same search as you. I've gigged with the BBE SupaCharger for about 2 years now, without a problem, powering around 8 pedals. Imported from the US because it proved to be cheaper than buying local.

I've just bought a Cioks DC10 as well, for the same reason. Cheaper than buying any power supply locally, and works here just fine. It's more expensive than the BBE but it has different powering options.

7. Burgs

Burgs Member

Grab a T-Rex Chameleon off eBay. It will probably set you back a little over $200 plus freight but I reckon they're worth it.

You'll get nice clean power and lots of it in 9, 12 or 18V feeds. The feeds are isolated and it's quiet. Make sure you get the latest 110/240V switchable model for obvious reasons.

You shouldn't need much more than that unless you're wanting to power Eventides or other hungry digital boxes. If so, you'll need to invest in something industrial like the Yankee PS-M2 (no good for 110V'ers, only the 240V brigade).

If you need more help, PM me.

8. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I'm using a BBE Supa Charger. Works fine. You just need an adaptor for the US plug.

9. Kiongku

Kiongku Member

Wow thanks guys for the replies. I will check it out soon. I had a look at the cioks range... sadly they have nothing to power 8 pedals :S.. I'm currently not planning to go higher than my 8 pedals so I think BBE supacharger is a winner.. I'm glad others in Australia found that it work too.
    Actually, is it possible to remove the cord plug for the BBE Charger and replace it with an Australian plug? That would be nice. (Thinking that it would be similar to those use on the PSU for PCs from the picture I saw)..

10. rowla

rowla Supporting Member

the BBE takes a standard IEC plug so any kettle or computer power cable will do just fine : )