Advice on Recording Software

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitarb, Jul 22, 2006.

1. guitarb

guitarb Member

I'm starting out with recording on computer....used a Roland for the last 6 years.

Was hoping someone could suggest software to start out on. I need something that won't be incredibly technical in it's application...but.....that I will get quality results from. It was suggested I start with Cakewalk......least I believe that's what it is called. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

3. jaycee

jaycee Member

I'm pretty new to computer recording myself and I went out and bought Cakewalk's Sonar Home Studio 4XL. It's not too expensive and it has some decent soft-synths to get started with. There is a learning curve and you can't expect to make a pro recording by the end of the week. Be patient.
    They also have some really helpful user forums. Here's a link for the software.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HomeStudio/XL.asp

Check this site too:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i cannot stress enough how ableton live is one of the most intuitive and yet powerful pieces of recording software.

5. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Some to try: Sonar and Home Studio (made by Cakewalk), Cubase, Live, and Acid. The best advice is to download the demos (they all should have one online) and try them for yourself. Different software will have strengths and weaknesses, but they will all get the job done. It's really a matter of the one that feels most comfortable to you.