• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Advice on selling a guitar you like

sunking101

I have agreed to sell a guitar that I like. It's actually my nicest looking guitar but I've never truly bonded with the neck. I have decided to sell it but every time I open the case I feel like I can't bear to let it go!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Should head rule heart?

mschafft

I once had crazy seller remorse after a sale. I'm over it now but have since then developed a habit of keeping guitars that I'm not truly ready to sell. It's mostly a question of timing: you feel good about selling a guitar when something better has taken its place or you really know that it's not the right one for you. Sometimes you just need the money and have to bite the bullet...

Last edited:

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
I have agreed to sell a guitar that I like. It's actually my nicest looking guitar but I've never truly bonded with the neck. I have decided to sell it but every time I open the case I feel like I can't bear to let it go!
Have one in the emporium now. Took me 10 years to let it go.

Patrick

RRfireblade

Mmmm, tough to say because things of the heart often change over time and almost certainly over enough time. Nowadays, I usually need a hard deal breaker or I'll just hold on to it for while and revisit. More often, I'm glad I did.

sunking101

Once I decide to sell it goes in the case and I don’t play it or look at it anymore.
Yeah but then the buyer comes round, opens the case, inspects the guitar, plugs in and plays it etc before leaving. If they just turned up, paid and left it wouldn't be half as bad! Don't get the guitar out and make me question my decision to sell! :facepalm :eek:

MagRick

Many times, but you get over it eventually.
So sell it.

-BOOGIEMAN-

Why sell it if you you don’t need to??? Spend a couple of weeks woodshedding with it exclusively, make yourself get used to the neck.
:rockin

Jim85IROC

you suck it up, you make the hard decision, and you send it packing. After a day or two you'll be fine, or you'll start looking for a replacement with the right neck. Either way, in the long run, you end up better off.

There are hundreds of thousands of amazing looking guitars out there, really not that difficult to find one that looks great AND plays great for your preferences. Unless you are comfortable with it just being used for decoration on the wall, I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to sell it. But then again, I would never buy a guitar where I don't love the neck...or if I did get a guitar and the neck wasn't for me I would return it the next day. That's pretty much one of the most important things in an instrument and one of the only things you can't really alter too much.

BadAssBill

you suck it up, you make the hard decision, and you send it packing. After a day or two you'll be fine, or you'll start looking for a replacement with the right neck. Either way, in the long run, you end up better off.
What he said....

I owned the most beautiful R6 ever made IMHO at one point. Great guitar....but half my gigs are in dive bars, the other half have drunk people and it just wasn't the place to have the case for an R6...let alone the guitar itself. It's all ego, right.....after I realized this...and the guitar sat in a closet while I was gigging nearly every weekend, I decided to sell it. No regrets at all...I still have the pic...but I made the right decision.
I know not everyone thinks this way...but they are tools. If the tool doesn't work...get one that will.

sunking101

There are hundreds of thousands of amazing looking guitars out there, really not that difficult to find one that looks great AND plays great for your preferences. Unless you are comfortable with it just being used for decoration on the wall, I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to sell it. But then again, I would never buy a guitar where I don't love the neck...or if I did get a guitar and the neck wasn't for me I would return it the next day. That's pretty much one of the most important things in an instrument and one of the only things you can't really alter too much.
I don't hate the neck, I just prefer the necks on my other guitars. I can go from one guitar to another and feel at home on them but this one always takes me a while. It just isn't my preferred profile. It does sound and look awesome though.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
Is the proceeds from the sale of the guitar anything impactful? If not, I'd just keep it.

I'm not trying to sound cheeky, but if I'm going to net like $400 after shipping/fees/whatever I'm gonna just keep it just cos I like how it looks looks.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
The only guitar I've ever felt that way about was my PRS DGT. I rectified that feeling by buying another a couple years after I sold the first. I still don't *love* the neck profile, but I'm willing to ignore it because the guitar sounds so good.

sunking101

Is the proceeds from the sale of the guitar anything impactful? If not, I'd just keep it.

I'm not trying to sound cheeky, but if I'm going to net like $400 after shipping/fees/whatever I'm gonna just keep it just cos I like how it looks looks.
It's a $3k guitar and I've just bought a slightly more expensive guitar so I'm thinking "Hmm. Kinda extravagant keeping this around just because it looks nice...."

*and it does look very nice.:(

Trending Topics