advice on strat pickups replacements

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clunk, Jul 17, 2006.

1. clunk

clunk Member

I have a strat with Fralin vintage hots. I like these pickups in this guitar. However, i recently picked up another strat and i am looking to replace the pickups in this guitar but i want something different than the vintage hots in this one. im looking for something a little more bell like with the upper chime, more of an underwound sound i guess. The vintage hots are good for certain sounds i like and will keep them in the guitar they are in at the moment.
    What would you suggest for a pickup replacement in my other strat? Ive been thinking of possibly getting the custom shop 54's. How are the suhr vp60LP's in comparison to the Fralins? Or if you have other suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Clunk

2. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

You can send them back to Fralin for an underwind for the cost of shipping both ways. Give his shop a call and let them know what you want - I'd bet they can get what you're looking for tonewise.

3. dallas

dallas Member

^ Lear jet! Tried Texas Specials?

4. Docgab

Docgab Member

I am partial to Hamel pick-ups. I have a set in my Strat and Tele. Both sound great, nice vintage tone.

I had a '57 ARI Strat that was set up with Callaham's, smokin tone.

5. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

If you are looking for a real bell-like and chimey sound the Suhr V60LP's are not the best for that type of sound. They can pull that off well, and it is one of the best pups I've personally heard (and own), but their strong suits seem to be "glass", "grease", "round-sounding", and smoothness-there are definitely better pups for chime/bell...such as the Suhr V54's or the Fralin Real 54's. It sounds like you are looking for a 50's type of representation, not the 60's era.

6. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

there are several options that fender has avalible that would be relativley good. For instance the 69 or the 54 custom shop pickups i consider to be very good. But in my opinion the best pickups for yor situation would probably be a set of Suhr V54's

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I wonder how the Suhr V54's compare with the Fralin 54's...

8. clunk

clunk Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Ive compared the texas specials with the fralin vintage hots. They were hotter than the fralins which is the opposite of what im after. The Fralins i like for certain sounds which is why im keeping them in the strat they are in. Im just after something different from the other strat i just got.
    I guess a more 50's sounding strat tone is what im after from this one. I will deffinately check out the suhr 54 and see what else Fralin has to offer.

Thanks again,

Clunk

9. Matt F

Matt F Member

If they are in the budget I would look into the Stephens Design Pickups. I recently loaded a set of Texas Mojos in my strat and they are AWEWSOME! www.sdpickups.com .

10. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I have some Mooretones that fit that bill... low output with great tones, I also so have some WCR SR's that are very cool as well...

Steve :D

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'd look at a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat50's, or email Jason Lollar and tell him what you're looking for. I have this love/hate thing with Lindy Fralin pickups. They have this "thing" in their high end that reminds me of piezo pickups on an acoustic guitar. They remind me of a brand new upper-end Mizuno baseball glove - you know that one day, eventually, when it finally breaks in, it'll be awesome. However, in the interim...

jb

12. dallas

dallas Member

Okay well. Here is a sound clip of my Ash strat that I readjusted the pole peices(stock). Bridge position. Boss overdrive, fender Hotrod and alittle phase.

http://media.putfile.com/Ash-Strat

13. go7

go7 Member

:rotflmao You`ve got some nice pup`s in there . Try emailing Wolfe at Wolfetone,he listens to your wants and then delivers . You can send them back until you`re happy. I think Wolfe is a great listener.And maybe that would help you out. It worked for me.He had a good idea of what I wanted in My Tele, and hit it the first time.I am amazed at the outcome. Best of luck!

14. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Try having Fralin unwind your current set a bit, or just order a set of Vintage Hots, underwound 3-5%. I really dig 'em.....

Here's a clip, into a Deluxe Reverb, conversation level, into my iMac internal crappy mic.....all 5 positions neck--->bridge

Fralin VH underwounds

- Jim

15. 3Tone

3Tone Member

16. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I"ve been really struggling with this as the custom shop 60s pups in my time machine nos60 strat are unbarable. I can't stand to even play the guitar. Scheachy, ice picky, toooooo edgy, They call is smooth and glassy. I call in a great guitar with horrible pickups in it. I heard Kinmans were way too high pitched. I'm probably going with Demarzio Virtual Vintage 2.

17. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I have never heard that Kinmans in general were too high pitched. There are different models to choose from, so I'm sure there is some diversity there.

If you are considering the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, you are better off going with the new Dimarzio Area 58 or 61 pickups. They are the updated noiseless pickups that are closer to the sound of a single than the Virtual Vintage series.

18. alderbody

alderbody Member

Have you seen this?

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpage.aspx?webpage_id=1

If you want underwound Fralins, take a look at Callaham's site.

btw, for a true 50's tone you need AlNiCo2 magnet pickups, if you have a Swamp Ash body.
    For alder or similar you can go with AlNiCo5, like the ones you currently own.

19. VanStone

VanStone Member

VanZandt "Vintage" or "Vintage Plus", or Lollar "Blondes" would be my advice. :AOK

V

20. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

Are those Fralins that Callaham offers definitely underwound? I couldn't get Bill to give me a definitive answer.......

Any idea what the specific wind is?

Thanks,
    Jim