1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on using 2 amps live..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyg121, May 23, 2011.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

I use a mesa boogie combo..and just picked up a head that would be cool to a/b live with the combo. I'm sure the easiest way to do this is to use the same cab with both amps. Easier and quicker to just mic up 1 cab. What is the best way to do this? What setups are you guys using for gigs?

2. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Radial Headbone?
    [​IMG]

It's not cheap, but your idea is surprisingly complicated.

3. Enajera

Enajera Member

Yup, as mentioned already, that is really the only option. It's almost cheaper to just get another cab and a whirlwind a/b/y selector. I'm interested to hear if there are other ideas.

4. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Yeah..a friend of mine told me about the headbone. At that price though, I might just get a second cab and haul the extra equipment..damn! I may need to but a bigger van! : )

5. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Then you'll need to double mic and hope that the sound man can balance them out properly.

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I've been using a Palmer Tri-Line with a Palmer E-Frog Triline Cabinet Switch Extender. At the present time my setup is a Glaswerks Super OverDrive 100 watt head with a TC Electronic 2290 in the loop and either a Komet 60 or Naylor Super-Drive Sixty using a Faustine Phantom DX2. Both heads amp outputs are hooked up through the Tri-line E-Frog into the Glaswerks G12TH 1X12 Cab loaded with a EVM- 12 L and then Triline Controller A/B/Y Switcher switches between both heads using 1 cab.
    Pretty neat setup!

7. Triangle

Triangle Member

Id go for two cabs. Even though it means more work for the sound guy, the headbone wont allow you to run both amps at once, which always sounds awesome.

Another option is to buy or build a stereo cab, which seems like the best plan to me.