• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Advice please on what gear to use for first time ever playing in public

Jallawalla

Hi there,

I've been asked to join in with a band playing at a friend's party tomorrow night. I have played with them in rehearsals a few times and will probably do 3 or 4 songs and a bit of a blues jam. It'll be a few top 40 covers, etc. I'm really looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've ever played in front of anyone seriously. There will be a friendly crowd of about 30 to 50 people in the back garden of a house. 'Somebody' has hired a PA, but we won't have an engineer.

Since I'm on this forum I'm a bit of a gearhead so have quite a bit to choose from so now I'm not sure what gear to use.

Option 1
Kemper head with kemper footswitch.
Pros: Simpler and easy to plug into the PA
Cons: No foldback monitors so I would have to bring a small powered speaker for monitoring (which I don't think would keep up with the drummer) and I'm not even sure how to do it

Option 2
Tone King Imperial (22 watt tube amp) with an overdrive, a delay and a chorus pedal
Pros: Simpler to set up, can hear myself through it
Cons: No mics with the PA so I'm competing with the PA. The other guitarist is playing through the PA and he really likes turning himself up and up! I don't want to spill beer on my Imperial!

I think I'd prefer to take the kemper, but I'm a bit worried about hearing myself - views?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
The Kemper would be a lot more flexible and offer you a lot of options; but it's all for naught if you cannot hear yourself (and your bandmates cannot hear you either). If there isn't time nor budget at this point, then roll with the Imperial and enjoy the show.

My honest opinion - based on hundreds (or thousands) of gigs with *both* conventional setups and direct to FOH rigs - if you cannot hear yourself on the gig (and your bandmates cannot hear you on the gig) the gig will be no fun for you. At all. if live performance is something you will be pursuing with any regularity, then give serious consideration to investing in a top notch monitor to along with the rest of your premium gear. Don't settle for a cheap monitor, get something good. Do your Kemper justice. It's an absolutely top shelf product and your entire rig is only as strong as it's weakest link. If you run a $2500+ rig with a small powered speaker you can't hear... you will not enjoy the moment.

IMHO.

sbrett

Do you know what the PA is? If you take the Kemper with a plan to run direct and it turns out you're working with a couple of 10s on sticks it's not going to go well for you or the other guitarist. Personally if I don't know what I'm going into, I'd rather have a live amp. This 'PA' may end up as vocals only.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Hi there,

I've been asked to join in with a band playing at a friend's party tomorrow night. I have played with them in rehearsals a few times and will probably do 3 or 4 songs and a bit of a blues jam. It'll be a few top 40 covers, etc. I'm really looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've ever played in front of anyone seriously. There will be a friendly crowd of about 30 to 50 people in the back garden of a house. 'Somebody' has hired a PA, but we won't have an engineer.

Since I'm on this forum I'm a bit of a gearhead so have quite a bit to choose from so now I'm not sure what gear to use.

Option 1
Kemper head with kemper footswitch.
Pros: Simpler and easy to plug into the PA
Cons: No foldback monitors so I would have to bring a small powered speaker for monitoring (which I don't think would keep up with the drummer) and I'm not even sure how to do it

Option 2
Tone King Imperial (22 watt tube amp) with an overdrive, a delay and a chorus pedal
Pros: Simpler to set up, can hear myself through it
Cons: No mics with the PA so I'm competing with the PA. The other guitarist is playing through the PA and he really likes turning himself up and up! I don't want to spill beer on my Imperial!

I think I'd prefer to take the kemper, but I'm a bit worried about hearing myself - views?

Thanks in advance for any input.
You must go Option 2. And since this is a backyard party, your Imperial will be more than loud enough, even if the other guy is playing through the PA (unless they are going to play at stadium volumes in someone's backyard). You could, of course, bring a mic and mic up your amp too, but I'll bet you don't need to.

MONSTER ZERO

I agree withusing the amp. 22 watts is plenty loud. I play with a guy that uses a DT25 and we have played rooms of 100+ people without micing the guitar amps and were more than loud enough. Outside is a little different but a 22 watt guitar amp will still be more than enough to compete with a PA.

_pete_

Silver Supporting Member
Go with option #2.
You don't need to think about using unfamiliar gear (monitor). Just smile and have fun. It will seem like it's over in about 3 seconds so make sure to enjoy it.

Oh yeah, bring a tuner for sure.

Jallawalla

Thanks to all of you for the input.

Pretty unanimous so it will be the amp.

Now...which pedals to take...and also, now need to memorise all the songs!

bgmacaw

Scrap the fancy schamancy gear, pick up a used Bandit and Squier, and go for it! :BluesBros

But, seriously, being in tune (the whole band) and otherwise working as a team, knowing the songs reasonably well (even if not note for note perfect) and not futzing about with gear during the performance are the important things. Even if your tone isn't Eric Johnson perfect, the audience will enjoy your performance if you take care of those 3 things.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Take the amp. You'll be able to hear yourself and adjust the volume of it, accordingly. For a backyard party of 50, it will be perfect.

Most of all:

Have Fun!

mojah

Thanks to all of you for the input.

Pretty unanimous so it will be the amp.

Now...which pedals to take...and also, now need to memorise all the songs!
I'd bring the amp one thicker od and one thinner sounding od and a delay. Maybe a compresser. I'd leave the chorus home unless it's a thick sounding one. You're outdoors..

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
Use the Tone King setup and keep it simple for your first real gig so you can focus on the performance, have fun and not worry about possible gear issues or patch changes.

Phrygiandom

That first time "on stage" is quite intoxicating, will seem to fly by in 2 minutes, and you will never be the same afterwards. With uncertainty regarding PA and monitors, it's always best to be in control of your sound and rely on that great amp.

Just make sure to bring a tuner and spare strings, and enjoy the hell out of it!!

PS: Be sure to come back and tell us how it went.......

Jallawalla

Well, it went really well last night.

I hadn't met the bass player or drummer before and we got through a few songs without much trouble. A few Beatles songs, Hey Joe, etc.

You were all correct about the amp setup. The sound worked perfectly and I could hear myself and so could everyone else. Someone else had a play on my guitar/amp for a couple of songs and the tone king sounded really great from out front.

I used one overdrive and a bit of chorus for one song - that was it.

I did get a tiny bit nervous/carried away and seemed to forget the chords to the house of the rising sun halfway through - oh well!

Thanks for all of the input!

MONSTER ZERO

Well, it went really well last night.

I hadn't met the bass player or drummer before and we got through a few songs without much trouble. A few Beatles songs, Hey Joe, etc.

You were all correct about the amp setup. The sound worked perfectly and I could hear myself and so could everyone else. Someone else had a play on my guitar/amp for a couple of songs and the tone king sounded really great from out front.

I used one overdrive and a bit of chorus for one song - that was it.

I did get a tiny bit nervous/carried away and seemed to forget the chords to the house of the rising sun halfway through - oh well!

Thanks for all of the input!

Thats great! Nice to hear your first real public jam went good! Hopefully you were bit by the gig bug. Lots of fun to be had.

Trending Topics