Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveG, Jan 30, 2008.

1. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Looking for some advice here…

I sent a pedal back to the (well-known) builder for a “check up.” He told me on Jan 3rd that the pedal was done, sitting on his desk, and that he’d send it out the following day. I spoke to him again on the 9th & on the 23rd; both times he's told me that he had been too busy to mail it, but that he’d send it out the next day. Today is the 30th, and the pedal still hasn’t been sent. I’m not sure what else to do at this point; I’ve been very polite in asking about it, sent him money for shipping, even offered to drive the 30 miles to pick the pedal up… all to no avail. :bkw

Anybody else have something like this happen? Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

just let us know what your chain is and what pedal you are not using at this time because,well, you wanted to do an upgrade to it.

3. DaveG

Not sure what you mean, I wasn't trying to upgrade the pedal; I sent it in for repair, and it's been done for a month but not returned to me. I've already ordered a pedal from another builder to fill that spot on my board, but it would sure be nice to have the first pedal returned to me, as I'm in it $270 & have never even used it.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Do not understand macmax77 response at all.

I'd drive the 30 miles and pick up the pedal if it was mine. Doesn't sound like it's 'in the mail' at all.

dave

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i think macmax77's response is a way to find out who manufactures the pedal you're waiting on so other TGP'ers might steer clear of said manufacturer...

basically, i think it's list out your entire effects pedal chain. once you have that list written for all to see, write which one is currently out of your chain being "upgraded".

6. DaveG

When I offered to drive down & pick up the pedal (on the 4th, almost 4 weeks ago), the builder told me that he didn't want people knowing where his shop is located, as he didn't want things stolen. I've owned my own fabrication business for 22 years, and I can understand not wanting a lot of "foot traffic" through your business (I don't want it either), but I think there are better ways to go about it.

That's what I thought, too. I'm being very careful to not give out that information, as it would violate TGP rules, which I have no interest in doing. :)

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I actually have some advice, I think.

Beg him nicely at first. . . well, . . . just be nice. . . . AGAIN. Tell him you're kinda basically at your limit and you'd really like to resolve this peacefully. REALLY. "I don't want no trouble, I jesswan my pedal, puhleaaaaaaaaaase".

I'm actually serious.

Then. . . once again. . . tell him your at the limits of what YOU can provide in terms of . . . PATIENCE.

Say, "Please, sir. . . I'm really doin' the best I can. I am at the limits of doing the best I can. I can't "can" no more. I REALLY don't want to take this any further. .. can you PLEASE do YOUR best to keep me within the limits of my patience? Can we PLEASE work this out before I am OUT of patience? I don't want to be PAST that limit. PLEASE and THANK YOU."

If that doesn't work, reply to ALL of the PMs that people WILL send you asking for wtf is going on. . .

I think ANY business would have a hard time arguing with that. . . . assuming, of course, that YOUR side of the story is 100% key-wrekt:cool:

8. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Say to him, Im no Doctor, but I know when Im losing my patience.
    This is really the wrong way for him to avoid visitors.

9. iualum

iualum Member

...the builder is a complete (you can fill in the blank)...

10. DaveG

Thanks, guys. I've been very nice every time I've spoken to the builder so far, and I guess I'll give it another try. I'll keep you posted...

And Orogeny, I left out some minor details that would indicate who the builder is & the pedal. The facts remain the same. :)

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Simply unacceptable behavior on the part of the builder. Too busy to mail out a pedal for 3-4 weeks just doesn't cut it. Great way to loose loyal customers though.

12. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

It must be cool to live 30 miles from the fulltone factory :p

13. DaveG

Well, it's not Fulltone, but I've definitely learned my lesson about dealing with builders who have a reputation for being "cranky."
    Life's too short. :)

14. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I'd keep being very polite and doing a call every few days, and I'd even offer again to pick it up. You picking it up is no expense to the builder. Could sound a little strange to me. Best of luck.

15. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

curiously enough, i've talked to mike fuller a few times and he was above average in the niceness/helpfulness category.

16. DaveG

I've never had any dealings with Mike, but I do use his guitar cables! :AOK

You know, I truly understand that everyone has bad days, especially if they're dealing with the public; Heck, I've had a few myself! :)
    I wonder, though, if we gear heads tend to excuse poor behavior from builders in our desire to get the new "best stuff?" Over the years, I've heard of various bad business practices referred to in terms like "cranky," "eccentric," "artistic," and (my favorite) "following his own business model," when it's really just being rude to the customer. :NUTS

17. DaveG

Update:

The pedal finally showed up yesterday late afternoon. I spoke to the builder earlier in the day (nicely, like everyone suggested :) ), and he told me that it had been sent out sometime in the past week. As it turned out, it had been sent out the day before (on the 30th). While the pedal sounds great & the workmanship is excellent, due to the hassle of getting it back I've lost any desire to run this pedal on my board, and have found a different pedal to fill that spot. Thanks again for the advice, guys, I appreciate it! :AOK