Advice.....Really small / compact "backup" preamp/drive/multi-fx + cab simulator

I'd like to find something that I could throw in my bag that is the size of a single or double pedal that would allow me to dial up 2-3 good sounds to plug in direct for both recording and gig-disaster use if I have an amp go down.

Ideally it would have a really nice front end preamp/amp models, a good compressor, decent drives, delay / reverb and a good cabinet simulator.

What do you guys suggest as the top picks for this application?

tibone

Zoom MS-50 is probably your best bet for single-size multi-fx.
For double size, Zoom G2.1u (the last version can double as usb recording interface). Vox Stomplab (simpler and cheaper than the zoom, different sounds as well).

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
This would be my pick, the Tech 21 Fly Rig at $250. Clean amp with reverb and cab sim, dirty amp with boost, and tap tempo delay with modulation.

13_FLYRIG_FRONT.jpg

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
This would be my pick, the Tech 21 Fly Rig at $250. Clean amp with reverb and cab sim, dirty amp with boost, and tap tempo delay with modulation.

13_FLYRIG_FRONT.jpg
I have one of these... great option for a backup pedalboard and amp for gigs. :aok

jimfist

IMO, Zoom nails it for a simple, small backup pedal. Take your pick of current or discontinued pedals available. For $99 US retail new, the MS-50G is hard to beat: small size, up to 6 effects in a signal chain including amp and cab modeling, patch cycling, etc.

uglybassplayer

Silver Supporting Member
IMO, Zoom nails it for a simple, small backup pedal. Take your pick of current or discontinued pedals available. For $99 US retail new, the MS-50G is hard to beat: small size, up to 6 effects in a signal chain including amp and cab modeling, patch cycling, etc.
The MS-50G is about as compact as you're going to find in a pedal that does amp/cab modeling, drives and effects.
It's larger, but the Digitech RP360 would fit the bill as well, and with 3 assignable footswitches, you would have some additional flexibility.

Great feedback fellas!.... Any of you guys have any opinions on any of the above sounding "less digital" and more analog'ish?... specifically in the compressor and drive sections. Thanks in advance.

The amplifire was already on my radar.. but the zoom sounds interesting too

Sascha Franck

For *really* good sounds I'd say Amplifire, for allround at a budget, GT-1.
Got the Zoom myself (actually both an MS-50 and a G3) for FX only or as a backup, but would not get those primarily for anything amp/dirt. IMO the GT-1 is more, hm, "consistent".

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
I've been quite satisfied with the dirt in the GT-1, either from the pedals or the amps.

Be wary of things like "sounds digital". Modelers have been fooling people for quite a while now.

gluve95

If you want top quality sound. Go Atomic Amplifire. Amp sound quality competes with anything out there big or small.

Reactions: jjb
For *really* good sounds I'd say Amplifire, for allround at a budget, GT-1.
Got the Zoom myself (actually both an MS-50 and a G3) for FX only or as a backup, but would not get those primarily for anything amp/dirt. IMO the GT-1 is more, hm, "consistent".

I use the MS50G(and CDR70) for all my ambient FX and I will agree with you about the amp/cab portion not being really exciting. However, there are a few VERY usable dirt pedals if you sift through them and sometimes use some radical settings and/or additional EQ. The Squeak, Red Box, Sweet Drive, Dynamic Drive, and Great Muff all find their way into my setlist occasionally, even though my primary gain pedals are analog Barber and Xotic boxes.....

hippietim

The Zoom MS100BT is a real sleeper which is actually pretty sweet. I've played live direct with one a couple times and it is surprisingly good. I just used a plexi patch with a little crunch and the Klon drive for more hair and it was way better than I expected.

I just took a look at the latest stuff for MS-50G and it looks like it's got the Klon and a whole bunch of the other add-ons from the MS100BT now so that seems like a great way to go.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
The MS-50G is about as compact as you're going to find in a pedal that does amp/cab modeling, drives and effects.
It's larger, but the Digitech RP360 would fit the bill as well, and with 3 assignable footswitches, you would have some additional flexibility.

+1

Tito83

Can't recommend the MS50G enough, after the recent update I think every guitarist should own one. Some effects might not be the best out there, but it pretty much has every effect you might ever want, including amp/cab sims in a pedal that has the size and price of a single Boss pedal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom