• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Advice regarding Bogner 20th XTC/Matchless Independence/ Mesa Stiletto

BadCat

Hello guys,
need your advice. I want to get one of these 3 amps, but am still somewhat insecure which one to take.
I play first of all Blues ala Bonamassa, rock ala Timmons, Satch, Vai, etc.
I want an amp that can give me a fat full organic tone but am likewise interested in having a good clean and everything in between. I have taken a look at the Bogner XTC 20th anniversary model with EL34`s. This amp will surely deliver with regard to a fat full organic and warm sound. Since this amp is voiced in the lower mids i am not so sure if it cuts in the mix. Other thing is how it deliver on the red channel. Is it muddy? What about the clean channel? A good choice for the above mentioned?
Matchless independence? Has it enough gain? How does the matchless sound at lower levels? Heard it is a very loud amp. Does it deliver at lower volumes too?
Mesa Stiletto? Played it. Decent amp but didn`t sweep me of my feet.
Appreciate every constructive input. By the way here is my amp history: Peavey JSX, Diezel Einstein- too modern sounding, Marshall JVM. like that one a lot.

SyKrash

Mesa lonestar is definitely on the lower-mids side. Really needs volume to start being able to "cut" by then you're usually louder than the rest of the band.

Ricker

Hello guys,
need your advice. I want to get one of these 3 amps, but am still somewhat insecure which one to take.
I play first of all Blues ala Bonamassa, rock ala Timmons, Satch, Vai, etc.
I want an amp that can give me a fat full organic tone but am likewise interested in having a good clean and everything in between. I have taken a look at the Bogner XTC 20th anniversary model with EL34`s. This amp will surely deliver with regard to a fat full organic and warm sound. Since this amp is voiced in the lower mids i am not so sure if it cuts in the mix. Other thing is how it deliver on the red channel. Is it muddy? What about the clean channel? A good choice for the above mentioned?
Matchless independence? Has it enough gain? How does the matchless sound at lower levels? Heard it is a very loud amp. Does it deliver at lower volumes too?
Mesa Stiletto? Played it. Decent amp but didn`t sweep me of my feet.
Appreciate every constructive input. By the way here is my amp history: Peavey JSX, Diezel Einstein- too modern sounding, Marshall JVM. like that one a lot.

I have the Bogner XTC and I have an Independence.
They are quite different.......
The XTC is a much safer option if you're trying to get alot of sounds and want something that still sounds good at low volumes.
The XTC sounds incredible at low volumes....killer bedroom amp aswell as live.

The Independence sucks at low volumes.....sounds buzzy and stiff.......
Turn it up or disengage the master and match it with the right speakers..........wow.......Damn it sounds good.....Kerrrang and some Chime.
The Matchless is way brighter than the Bogner......If you don't like bright amps then don't get the Indie.
The Bogner can be made to sit bright with the precense controls but it is voiced on the darker side.

The Indie is more touch sensitive.....has a great low-end and is very dynamic with a great reverb and super effects loop as wonderful optional add ons.
The indie head weighs nearly as much as my bogner head.

You can tweak the Bogner to sound more like how you want.
The Bogner has way more gain........is alot smoother and has a Fatter sound overall.....
The Indie sounds like the Indie.......not really much you can do to it apart from some odd EQ control

I dunno bro........I prefer the Matchless....but I think most would prefer the XTC...

R

DV52

Not a bad one in the bunch.Bret Garsed used the Bogner on a DVD that I have.Great sound.Andy Timmons uses a Stiletto and a Lone Star.Al Dimeola uses a Stilleto.You will no doubt love your new amp.

Leftyman

Platinum Supporting Member
I have to respectfully disagree with "Ricker". I personally think, for the tones you are going, for the Indy would best suit your needs. The XTC is voiced in the lower mids and is therefore going to sound a little smoother and heavier. The Indy is going to have more of an "in your face" sound and is a perfect amp for blues and rock n roll. I found the Indy worked well at lower volumes with my 2X12 loaded with Scumbacks.

Now before everybody freaks out, I am in no way putting down the XTC. It is arguably one of the best channel switchers on the market. I just think for your needs the Indy would be better. Use to have one, sold it and regret it.

se7en

I have to respectfully disagree with "Ricker". I personally think, for the tones you are going, for the Indy would best suit your needs. The XTC is voiced in the lower mids and is therefore going to sound a little smoother and heavier. The Indy is going to have more of an "in your face" sound and is a perfect amp for blues and rock n roll. I found the Indy worked well at lower volumes with my 2X12 loaded with Scumbacks.

Now before everybody freaks out, I am in no way putting down the XTC. It is arguably one of the best channel switchers on the market. I just think for your needs the Indy would be better. Use to have one, sold it and regret it.
Well the 20th XTC is different than a 101b for example. It is more in your face if you want it to be.

Trending Topics