Advice regarding home studio/media setup.

the swede

Im doing a room where I will: Play guitar, record, listen, watch.
This room will also be used by other family member to: watch, play, listen.

The main area will have a studio desk with two integrated 3U rack spaces (I never had a desk before, I never had rack unit before).
On the desk there will be 2 monitors. On the wall there will be 42-55" LCD tv.
My main rig will be a Mac Book Pro, and an audio interface, and a Line 6 floor modeler.
(computer and modeler are movable and will be moved around to and from the room)

But how can I make it easy for the other family members to use the TV with the monitors, preferably by just flicking a switch at the desk?

Im thinking of using a rack mounted power strip with a switch, as a start. There they could just hit the switch and power on everything.

Sound is the "problem" I can't get my head around. They shouldn't have to unplug or pull cables or mess with my audio interface regardless if it will be a portable usb or rack interface.

Do I need a mixer? So the main outs from my audio interface goes to the mixer, the main out from the TV goes to the mixer, then just switch on/off the "channel" to be used. So it needs to be a stereo mixer? Preferably a 1U rack.

ctreitzell

1st consideration: Audio monitoring should not be on the desk...and not too close to the wall behind

As far as power goes, a power block with switch is fine, IME

Will your other family members be booting up your computer and dealing with any driver issues if you aren't there? I am guessing you want them to be able to watch/listen/play games without dealing with a computer.

Sounds like what you need is a (audio) monitor switcher. I use a Drawmer MC2.1 at my workstation desk...it might be overkill for you purposes...but it is killer build and sound quality; "3" stereo ins; 3 stereo xlr outs...MC2.1 is not a rack unit, if that's what you are looking for.

In my family viewing area, I use a tiny €110 Yamaha mixer, which works well...but my family members would struggle to put things right with the routing if something goes wrong...and it does go wrong, usually by someone unaware they have disconnected a line or power cable.

You really need to determine what devices you want routed together and any line mixing/ switching and if you need to feed more than one zone with mixed outputs. Often, I find myself requiring more than one stereo output...and I think others also get tripped up but not realizing how many outputs they actually require.

Emigre

Yeah, a mixer would work. they would have to switch om the TV, mixer and monitors to get sound.

But why not buy a soundbar or other dedicated speakers for TV? Why would you want to not play guitar because the wife wants to watch Housewives of Beverly Hills or whatever? :)

the swede

Yeah, a mixer would work. they would have to switch om the TV, mixer and monitors to get sound.
Also, as the desk has two 3U rack spaces, I want to use them for rack stuff... just because :D Im a geek after all!! So one rack space will have power and mixer, the other rack space will be reserved for my geeky side :) Maybe I want to try some old rack stuff, or try 500 stuff or whatever :rolleyes:

The Studio desk will be kinda between stuff, so I don't want anyone to search for power strip switches anywhere. There will be a main strip hidden behind the desk. Thats why I want to install a rack power strip that everything is connected to.
Like this one
https://www.thomann.de/se/the_t_racks_power_8_s.htm
Then everyone/anyone can just flick that switch and it powers everything.

But why not buy a soundbar or other dedicated speakers for TV? Why would you want to not play guitar because the wife wants to watch Housewives of Beverly Hills or whatever? :)
Nahhh... if im there... she is not there. If she's there, im not there :D And im thinking additional speakers is overkill and I want to avoid clutter.

the swede

On the other hand.... the matching tv soundbars often has auto detection to the tv on/off state...

ok... ill go back to scratching my head a while... a good soundbar is the same price as a cheap rack mixer :facepalm

jb4674

I was doing something similar a while back in my room. Although it wasn't to have audio content from a tv source, I had my monitors (M-Audio BX8a Deluxe) using both TRS and XLR inputs. One input was connected to my interface while the other input was connected to my mixer. At my desk, I had (and still do) a technical pro power switcher that was plugged into a Monster line conditioner. This way, I could turn the monitors on and off whenever I wanted. Any monitor should be able to do this if it has dual inputs. The key is that you can't use both inputs at the same time.

Trending Topics