1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Advice sought on an Auto Wah.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jezzzz2003, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Im not big into auto wahs
    and I've got a customer who who is not happy with his AW-3.
    What's a good one?

Thanks crew.

2. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I like my Emma DiscumBOBulator

DB-1 DiscumBOBulator

[​IMG]

You have to work the sensitivity to get it to work with your guitar and style of playing, but it works for me.

-jm

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Auto Wah? I think the older AW-2 is vastly superior to the newer AW-3

Envelope Filter? The Maxon AF-9 is my personal fave.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

+1 on the Emma.

Probably spent more than I should have, but dang that things sounds good.

Turns heads at gigs too. "What IS that?"

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The EMMA is good but check out the Tone Factor Analogue Filter 442, great autowah, I digs it'

TheGrooveking

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Dumb question - are a-w's and e f's different? (I always thought they were essentially the same beast.)

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

8. sandman

sandman Member

nothing wrong with the good ol' TW-1.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I love my Discumbobulator!

10. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

Many (even pedal manufacturers) are confused by these terms and often use the term "auto-wah" even though they actually mean envelope follower.

The difference is basically that an auto wah is like someone was rocking a wah-wah back and forth at a constant predefined rate, which is always adjustable on a auto-wah effect. Your playing does not affect the rate nor decay of the sound. Here's a sound-example:
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/151109_autoq_1.MP3

A envelope follower is like a wah that is sensitive to the attack (or envelope) of the signal. It's like hitting a wah-wah pedal all the way up (or down depending on setting) every time you play a note or chord.
    Here another example:
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/153040_emmabob_1.MP3

Many pedals in these categories are a mix of an auto-wah and an envelope follower, like the q-tron for instance, maybe that's why people get easily confused.

At least this is how I have understood things. Hope this helps.

11. davidmullis

davidmullis Member

I was also very disappointed with the AW-3. My particular unit suffered from a noticable volume drop. BOSS were totally unhelpful.
    I used a Discumbobulator for a time and still believe it to be an excellent piece of kit, however, I finally settled on an XOTIC Robotalk. It's a little different, but has a very vocal envelope follower, plus you get the great sounding random arpeggiator.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like putting my octavia in front of the discumbobulator, very synth-like.