Advice: Telecaster or Musicman Axis Super Sport

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geng, Feb 11, 2008.

1. geng

geng Member

I own and use Fender Stratocaster (american 60th anniversary with 57/62 vintage single coil) and Musicman Axis Sport (2 DiMarzio humbucker). I use Vox Valvetronix AD120 or Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12as main amp and I am gigging most weekends. When I use my Valvetronix I use UK'70 (marshall plexi) clean and then some pedals and internal fx. Both my fender and musicman sounds good but I prefer fender clean and musicman lead. I don´t like my strat through Lone Star (thin sounding) but my musicman sounds good - but a little boxy.

Now I am considering upgrade my musicman and I have narrow my search to Musicman Axis Super Sport with two P90 pickups (mm90 they call it) andamerican Fender Telecaster (perhaps deluxe). I owned american telecaster many years ago and liked it but I am afraid it is a bit thin sounding, like my strat. Musicman Axis Super Sport is often described as "telecaster on stereoids".

I want to use my Lone Star as main amp so my guitar must "fit the bill".

Unfortunately there is no music store near me so I can not try and a/b them. What is your experience? - does telecaster and lone star fit well together or could it be to thin sounding? Have the sport meaty clean sound?

Regards

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I think the Albert Lee will get you closer to Tele tones than an Axis SS, even with coil tapped buckers or MM90's. Especially a hardtail AL.

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Get a Tele with the Custom Shop Nocaster Pickups. Those pickups are full and beautiful. I have the Custom Shop Nocaster guitar and couldn't be more happy.

4. geng

geng Member

Thanks

What about samarian cobalt (scn) in american deluxe telecaster? And S-1 switching? Can it get aclean sound with some meat?

Regards

5. c_mac

c_mac Member

I disagree but only slightly. Having owned both I would say that the MM90 Axis SS gets you into pretty good Tele territory but its hard to go wrong with the AL or the ASS and for that matter a good Tele. Personally I would pick an Axis SS MM90.

6. sears

sears Member

The guitars feel very different. I'd say flip a coin, buy one and see if you can't get the other one out of your head. I've owned both -- Tele Plus + Axis Sport MM90 -- sold the Axis Sport and got a Junior. I still kind of miss the Axis Sport.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I've only had the Axis Sport in HSS.

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I'm not a huge fan of Fender's SCN pickups - they're effective, but I find them kind of dull compared to standard, quality pickups.

A couple of thoughts:
    - Given you're already playing an Axis Sport, the SS will be more immediately comfortable to you.
    - Resale on "big" brands (Gibson, Fender) will generally be stronger than an EBMM.

Personally, I'm a tele guy, but I love P-90's. Less of a strat guy, so if it were me I'd sell both the strat and the EB and pick up a tele and the SS.

9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I've been eyeing a MM90 SS, but it's not very tele-like. I'd say try an ASAT Special (my guitar of choice). VERY phat but still Tele-like. -E

10. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I've had both an American Standard Telecaster and an ASS with piezo...if it was me, I'd get the Axis for the Lone Star. I hate hum, and that silent circuit is awesome.