Advice: Telecaster or Musicman Axis Super Sport

geng

I own and use Fender Stratocaster (american 60th anniversary with 57/62 vintage single coil) and Musicman Axis Sport (2 DiMarzio humbucker). I use Vox Valvetronix AD120 or Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12as main amp and I am gigging most weekends. When I use my Valvetronix I use UK'70 (marshall plexi) clean and then some pedals and internal fx. Both my fender and musicman sounds good but I prefer fender clean and musicman lead. I don´t like my strat through Lone Star (thin sounding) but my musicman sounds good - but a little boxy.

Now I am considering upgrade my musicman and I have narrow my search to Musicman Axis Super Sport with two P90 pickups (mm90 they call it) andamerican Fender Telecaster (perhaps deluxe). I owned american telecaster many years ago and liked it but I am afraid it is a bit thin sounding, like my strat. Musicman Axis Super Sport is often described as "telecaster on stereoids".

I want to use my Lone Star as main amp so my guitar must "fit the bill".

Unfortunately there is no music store near me so I can not try and a/b them. What is your experience? - does telecaster and lone star fit well together or could it be to thin sounding? Have the sport meaty clean sound?

Regards

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Albert Lee will get you closer to Tele tones than an Axis SS, even with coil tapped buckers or MM90's. Especially a hardtail AL.

digthosetubes

Get a Tele with the Custom Shop Nocaster Pickups. Those pickups are full and beautiful. I have the Custom Shop Nocaster guitar and couldn't be more happy.

geng

Thanks

What about samarian cobalt (scn) in american deluxe telecaster? And S-1 switching? Can it get aclean sound with some meat?

Regards

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Albert Lee will get you closer to Tele tones than an Axis SS, even with coil tapped buckers or MM90's. Especially a hardtail AL.
I disagree but only slightly. Having owned both I would say that the MM90 Axis SS gets you into pretty good Tele territory but its hard to go wrong with the AL or the ASS and for that matter a good Tele. Personally I would pick an Axis SS MM90.

sears

The guitars feel very different. I'd say flip a coin, buy one and see if you can't get the other one out of your head. I've owned both -- Tele Plus + Axis Sport MM90 -- sold the Axis Sport and got a Junior. I still kind of miss the Axis Sport.

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
I disagree but only slightly. Having owned both I would say that the MM90 Axis SS gets you into pretty good Tele territory but its hard to go wrong with the AL or the ASS and for that matter a good Tele. Personally I would pick an Axis SS MM90.
Thanks for the info. I've only had the Axis Sport in HSS.

GregoryL

I'm not a huge fan of Fender's SCN pickups - they're effective, but I find them kind of dull compared to standard, quality pickups.

A couple of thoughts:
- Given you're already playing an Axis Sport, the SS will be more immediately comfortable to you.
- Resale on "big" brands (Gibson, Fender) will generally be stronger than an EBMM.

Personally, I'm a tele guy, but I love P-90's. Less of a strat guy, so if it were me I'd sell both the strat and the EB and pick up a tele and the SS.

Jet Age Eric

I've been eyeing a MM90 SS, but it's not very tele-like. I'd say try an ASAT Special (my guitar of choice). VERY phat but still Tele-like. -E

I own and use Fender Stratocaster (american 60th anniversary with 57/62 vintage single coil) and Musicman Axis Sport (2 DiMarzio humbucker). I use Vox Valvetronix AD120 or Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12as main amp and I am gigging most weekends. When I use my Valvetronix I use UK'70 (marshall plexi) clean and then some pedals and internal fx. Both my fender and musicman sounds good but I prefer fender clean and musicman lead. I don´t like my strat through Lone Star (thin sounding) but my musicman sounds good - but a little boxy.

Now I am considering upgrade my musicman and I have narrow my search to Musicman Axis Super Sport with two P90 pickups (mm90 they call it) andamerican Fender Telecaster (perhaps deluxe). I owned american telecaster many years ago and liked it but I am afraid it is a bit thin sounding, like my strat. Musicman Axis Super Sport is often described as "telecaster on stereoids".

I want to use my Lone Star as main amp so my guitar must "fit the bill".

Unfortunately there is no music store near me so I can not try and a/b them. What is your experience? - does telecaster and lone star fit well together or could it be to thin sounding? Have the sport meaty clean sound?

Regards

DualRectifier

I've had both an American Standard Telecaster and an ASS with piezo...if it was me, I'd get the Axis for the Lone Star. I hate hum, and that silent circuit is awesome.

Trending Topics