Advice: which graphic eq pedal or rack eq

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DylanGuitar, Feb 16, 2009.

1. DylanGuitar

DylanGuitar Member

Hey peeps. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a high quality (as many bands as possible) eq pedal. Not of the boss kind, but more of the high quality, transparent, true-bypass boutique-ee kind.

Also, anyone run a graphic eq in thier amps fx loop? Any recommendations for that?

Any and all advice appreciated

Dylan

2. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I'd be curious to know this too. I don't know of any boutique rack mount graphic eq's and while there are alot of boutique eq pedals I'm not sure of any that even have as many bands as the typical Boss or MXR. Part of the reason is more bands typically means more noise.

If you aren't totally against the idea of a parametric eq the Empress ParaEq looks pretty cool. Also, the Boss and MXR stuff can be modded to help out with noise and I've read many posts on here stating the Sniper modded Boss GE-7 is an incredible pedal.

I've messed with the Boss GE-7 (non-mod), MXR 10-band (non-mod), Furman PQ-3, and TC Electronic 1140 all in front of my amp and in the loop. Honestly, in the loop the GE-7 and MXR were worked good and the common noise issues you run into when putting these in front of an amp aren't an issue here. With one of my rigs I prefered my GE-7 to the PQ-3 in the loop. All that said I'd say the most quiet and most tweakable was the 1140. You can do some serious tone shaping with 4 bands of parametric eq.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just received the Empress ParaEq and it's fantastic. I haven't found anything else close. It seems to be extremely transparent and much more versatile than a graphic, plus it has a fantastic boost.

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

5. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

What are you trying to accomplish? Overall tone control or fine notching? Do you need a boost? Boost adds noise typically. My favorite graphic is the Rane 31 band (obviously will not fit in a pedal).

PaulC has a pedal in the works that looks like a drive with EQ function, that looks pretty serious.

For the tonal range of a guitar I can't really see the need for more than a 7 band EQ. On that note there are some mods that can be done to the GE-7 to quiet it down.

Why don't Botiuqe builders make graphic EQ's? Personall I don't have a way of cutting slots in a pedal and I do all my own enclosure drilling, the only thing I can make is a round hole:)