Advices about Tele pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blueprint, Aug 26, 2005.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have a good sounding Squier tele but I'd like to improve it with new pickups (single coils), mostly because the neck pup is a little bit weak to my ears.
    I was thinking about Kinmans, as I already have them one one of my strats and they are really amazing...
    If you have any comment or suggestion, you're welcome!

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Kinman is a good choice if noise is an issue.

DiMarzio Virtual Vintage too.

If not Fender makes some fine Tele pups, the Original Vintage and Nocasters are good.
    The Texas Specials too if you can find a used set, the neck pup is especially nice.

Seymour Duncan Antiquity works too.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have a Squier Tele in which I have a Duncan JD bridge pup (I think it's a keeper) and have just installed a Lace gold Strat pup in the neck replacing an Evans Strat pup and before that a Lace tele neck pup. This may be the best one yet...will it ever end? I do prefer low noise.

Strat pups fit fine into the existing rout and I have removed the pickguard for that "customized" look and ease of service, so the world of pups is at my command, money and time permitting. If you need a bargain, try a used Mexi-Strat pu.

4. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    Van Zandt and Lollar also make excellent tele sets.
    Peace,
    Dave

5. bigroy

bigroy Member

I picked up a Yamaha Pacifica Tele for $75 at a sale a few years ago. The bridge pickup sounded fine to my ears, but the neck pickup was really dark. I replaced it with a Fender Vintage Tele neck pickup, $25 used, and turned that guitar into a real workhorse. My #1 Tele until last year.

I assembled a 52 Reissue clone winter before last. I finally decided to try the Rio Grande Big Bottom Tele set. The neck pickup sounds nice and smooth, and the bridge pickup is just hot enough to add a nice growl to solo's when engaged.

I think (for me at least), that the Rio Grandes are my favorite Tele pickups to date.

At least they work for me.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Hey blueprint, the Kinmans aren't really single coil, but they're designed to sound that way- minus the hum. I've got a pair of his AVn 48 Broadcasters in my thinline tele. They're hotter than the AVn 60s and greatly improved on the thin tone I was getting from the stock MIM pickups.

His neck pickups are covered with chrome colored plastic, so they look traditional, but deliver a lot more volume. The Broadcaster bridge pickup's also punchy, with plenty of upper mids- but no loss of brightness & TWANG. Great pickups.

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Some great ideas already. You could not go wrong with and of the above pickups.

Depending on your budget, what type of tone you're after, the gear you use, your style of play, etc...there are a ton of great sounding, cost effective pickups out there.

The suggestion of Fenders Original Vintage pickups is a good one. Great sounding pickups at a nice price. Dimarzio Twang Kings are also very good pickups for not a lot of dough.

If noisless is what you're after, check out the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage series. Again, great sounding, quiet pickups at a nice price. The Kinmans are great, but a set of them will set you back more that you paid for the guitar! Bill Lawrence are also noisless and around $40 a pickup.

Trutone winds some nice tele pups for around $90 a set. GFS pickups seem to be getting a lot of positive reviews lately. At $20 to $25 ( or so ) a pickup, might be worth a look.

Higher up the food chain, Lollars, Rolphs, Fralins, Aero, OC Duff, Vintage Vibe, Wolfe, et al wind fantastic pickups.

Have you considered buying a used set? You can get more bang for your buck this way. Check out the gear emporium here as used tele pups show up quite often.

Many options to chose from. Goodl uck. I hope you find what you're looking for!

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

i have a set of seymour duncan vintage stack for tele pickups (n + b) in my tokai clone of a 52ri ... very nice pickups indeed ... noiseless, twangy, punchy ... with a 4 way switch, they really make this $300 guitar sound like a much more $$$$ guitar

t4d

9. blueprint

blueprint Member

Thanks all for the replies.
    This place is really helpfull!
    I play mostly blues. Actually, I bought this guitar because I wanted a dedicated open tuning guitar to learn to play slide. I already have nine other guitars, but no tele (big mistake!)
    I've eventually bought with this one because it's a good one. I've compared it with at least a dozen other teles (and some of them were much more expensive...)
    Now, I strongly think that best pickups would improve it's tone drastically.
    Bonedance, for your information my amps are a mesa DC5 and a Matchless Chieftain 210. I have a bunch of pedals too...Regarding budget, I don't really care about that because this guitar has tone, and everything which can improve it is a good idea. I buy gear with my ears, and even if pups cost more than the guitar itself, it's not a problem.
    Thanks again!;)

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've had the biggest chub about Harmonic Design Tele pickups. Since I was playing mostly Les Pauls with 'buckers and P-90's, the idea of making a cross between a LP Jr and a Tele was really appealing. It's a smokin' Tele with the output of a P-90. They're called Super 90.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

12. Amit

Amit Member

At this point in time I'll add +1 to anything Harmonic Design.
    Had the pleasure to install V+ set, S90 and MiniStart on the same Tele, all delivered in spades. now waiting for a Z90 for the neck and have no doubt it will kick major b**t:)

13. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I just had some Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups installed in my white blonde USA tele and it gave me a much fuller, more musical tone, especially with the bridge pickup. Neck is also nice and warm without being as muddy as the stock pickups.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Fender Texas Special Tele pups.

Man...they smoke!

S.
    j

15. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i have a set of duncan antiquities in a MIM 50' reissue, made that guitar come alive. I am also a big fan of voodoo pickups and his are generally a bit overwound. They are nice and strong. good luck

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Another Rio Grande fan. Also I like the Duncan Vintage Stacks for hum free.

17. Gerald Johnson

Gerald Johnson Member

You really must try Bareknuckle "Brown Sugar" tele set - truly awesome!
    Gerald.

18. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

The Rio Grande Big Bottom set reproduce tones that are at a frequency I find pleasing to my ears. YMMV.