1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Advise about nitro finish

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by picknboogie, May 16, 2011.

1. picknboogie

picknboogie Member

There's a new guitar in my life, it's a semi custom build that I had painted in nitro laquor and so far the guitar is great. I've got a small problem with the back of the neck & it's also finsihed in nitro. Seems I left the guitar out on an old stand, the kind that has that surgical type tube covering everywhere the guitar touches the stand. This stand is about 20 yrs. old.

Anyway, some of this rubberish tube stuck to the back of the guitar neck and polish won't take it off. Can anyone help?

2. RnB

RnB Member

That can happen more readily if the Lacquer is fresh. You might try & see what 'residual tubing' you can remove from the neck w/ Naphtha (lighter fluid) & see if you can lift some of the tubiing off. Is the neck tinted? I'd then go to a Rubbing Cmpd to try & smooth out the rough area left behind in the Lacquer...followed by a Polishing Cmpd.

If that doesn't do it, you might need to do a touch-up w/ some spray lacquer in the area that's affected. Can you post a Pic...

Some people cut off the fingers on cotton gloves & slip them over the surgical tubing for protection....to fend this problem off.

3. picknboogie

picknboogie Member

Thanks for the info! I think I may have actually made it a little worse rubbing too hard with some polish and a cotton cloth yesterday. I can't be sure if it's residue from the tube or that the finsih became indented because it hadn't completly cured yet. I don't have a camera good enough to show what I can see by eye. It just won't show up on a picture.

Tell me, is Goof Off the same kind of product, or would using that be a mistake?

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

this:agree

5. passfan

passfan Member

Stay away from anything with acetone or alcohol in it. I've used Naptha and mineral spirits on nitro before. Also rubbing does build up heat and you could drag the finish so hopefully you haven't done this.

6. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Nitro is not all created equally. Back when I first started out, I used some off brand of nitro that did not cure in a years time. Use trusted sources only.

7. picknboogie

picknboogie Member

It's kind of interesting but the little lump I created while rubbing till things got warm seems to have gone away and what I'm left with is an indentation that matches the arc of the guitar stand. Sure I can feel it when running my hand across it but it's not that bad. You can't really see it at all. I'm thinking about leaving well enough alone because I'm not interested in having to have someone refinish the spot after I've made it a bigger mess. A learning process for sure. Still I've got to say that this guitar resonates much more than either of my mid eighties poly painted guitars. I'm happy that the little line on the neck isn't worse and I appreciate everybodies input. Thanks!

8. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Take off that neck and send it back to your builder along with another custom decal and he will strip off that nitro and finish it in Tru-Oil like you really wanted in the first place. End of problem;) Well a few weeks later....end of problem.
    Rob

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Nitro can't handle alcohol? I knew Schellac couldn't, but I thought nitro was alcohol safe.

10. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Leave it alone. Lesson learned.play my friend

11. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

I use a little Farecla G3 to polish out blems on a nitro finish.