• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Advise - Shipping a ME1 w/Brazilian for US ONLY written on it?

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
I have a person outside the US who wishes to buy my ME1 (headstock states for US ONLY). He is asking me to ship it to his friend within the US. Then his friend will ship it to him oversea's.

I have raised the point that the guitar says US ONLY on it.

Done this before, but the guitar didn't say US ONLY on it, without issues.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Kevin

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
My reason for concern. Paypal will be his funding method, and I made it clear that I will only ship to a confirmed address.

True, I have no control what happens after, but I don't want them putting a Paypal charge back, a month from now becasue of their export issues.

Last edited:

bkatx

I have no idea what an ME1 is. :huh
PRS Modern Eagle.

OP I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. It may be worth calling PRS about. I found this on their website:

*Instruments containing Brazilian Rosewood that are marked with “USA Only” or “Custom Built for the USA” on the back of the headstock are for the purpose of sale ONLY in the U.S. When a guitar is shipped overseas from the U.S., a re-export permit issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service certifying that the Brazilian Rosewood components are from a lawful source is required. In addition, some countries require a separate permit to import a guitar with Brazilian Rosewood components. Finally, a number of countries, including the countries making up the European Union, have barred the importation of Brazilian Rosewood altogether, except under certain very narrow circumstances.

United States law does not require supporting documentation to be shipped with a guitar containing Brazilian Rosewood components sold in the United States. Therefore while the wood used on the above mentioned instruments is qualified for sale in the U.S., the instrument cannot be exported from the U.S., nor can certification be obtained for the exportation of the instrument. Only Brazilian Rosewood that was harvested before June of 1992 (when the wood was listed as a protected species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)) and is accompanied by a CITES export permit from Brazil can be shipped in foreign commerce. (In normal circumstances, the CITES document does not travel with the specific guitar to the end customer). The Brazilian Rosewood used by PRS Guitars is obtained in compliance with these conditions.

If I'm reading that right it sounds like if you ship with the US you're in the clear. But I'm no lawyer.

Last edited:

TresGatos

My reason for concern. Paypal will be his funding method, and I made it clear that I will only ship to a confirmed address.

True, I have no control what happens after, but I don't want them putting a Paypal charge back, a month from now becasue of their export issues.
Without the correct paperwork (which is FAR too complicated to get for braz rosewood) if customs looks at it, it ain't coming into Canada (I bet most countries are the same).

If you are looking to complicate your life I say go for it, that thing may come back to you in a different condition from which it was sent.

Sell it to the US buddy, using his verified paypal info and let him sell it to the out-of-US friend for $0.01. This puts you outside of the hassle.

webe123

I do not really see how they can do anything to you as long as you are only shipping within the US!

Now his "friend" in the US may have issues if he tries to sell it outside the US, but like they said...if he makes a separate sale to his friend of 1 cents then that would totally put that burden on him and put you in the clear.

In other words...it would no longer be your problem to worry about.

Frankly...I HATE the CITES treaty and hope the laws can be changed. It goes way overboard in my opinion.

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
THANK YOU - appreciate the responces....

I'm going to pass on selling to this person, it's just not worth the potential trouble, it was a buyer on the REVERB site.

I'm not in a hurry to sell it, and if it had a Trem I'm not sure I'd have it for sale...

Thanks again for the help!

Papanate

This smells funny - and you are asking for a boatload of trouble
to come your way. I wouldn't do it - the main reason is it's illegal - and the
second reason is this guy is trying to circumvent the law. You don't want to
be involved with that Trust me.

Tim Plains

Like someone suggested, his US friend can always buy it from you, or you insist on PayPal gift given the circumstances. Gift is what I would do here.

On a side note, I just read that story about your R9. That is nuts. Can't believe Roman screwed you like that given his reputation unless things have changes. Then again, he did pair up with Boggs. I sincerely hope you receive compensation.

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
On a side note, I just read that story about your R9. That is nuts. Can't believe Roman screwed you like that given his reputation unless things have changes. Then again, he did pair up with Boggs. I sincerely hope you receive compensation.
Thanks

Not much has changed with Roman, he still is making promises but thats been going for 6 years now.

Boggs, guy had me fooled, and from conversations with Roman, he had just about everyone else foolded too. I was thinking this guy was a friend during this, I was very WRONG!

Lesson Learned - I'll never send a guitar to a luither again, without making sure he or she has insurance and a net worth in the event something goes wrong. I did look into Legal action, and was told flat out, I'd win, but it would be difficult to recover anything, as much of this business is cash off the books.

Thank you appreciate it!

kevin

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
Lump those guys in with the Snake Oil strings scam artist, and you'd have the holy trinity of ripoffs!

Dishonest people suck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom