Aerodyne Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by david henman, Mar 23, 2006.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...i have suddenly developed an infatuation with fender's aerodyne tele.

pretty solid reviews. i'll visit a few stores to see if i can find one to try.

made in korea. black beauty. single coil bridge and p90 neck.

has anyone checked it out?

-david
    toronto

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I've played a few. They were OK. I bet there are some really good ones out there, but I didn't come across one.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I thought they were from Fender Japan? So they're Korean now? If so, that may explain quite a bit....

I tried two different ones last summer, and they were excellent sounding and playing guitars. I almost bought the one I played at Haymes Music in Gaffney, SC.

Last month, I played two more, and they were both terrible.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

David, we have a used one at the store (you know, that artsy place) in great shape with Sperzels. Fender Japan. Came so close to buying it myself, but made a vow to just buy American guitars. Seriously, a great player's guitar, and the woodwork and fretwork are good enough it's worth putting boutique pickups in. Sounds distinctive; just doesn't really sound like a traditional Tele (cuz it isn't). Rare treasure in the Fender line, and really affordable used. Grab it!-Eric

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have one, and, after lots of tweaking, I really like it. Mostly, I changed out all the guts/wiring, and put in a Fralin Steelpole 42 bridge & a Lollar P-90 neck. I loved the guitar from the first time I saw it, and found a nice one. The switches tend to crap out very dast, and the CTS pots & orange drop cap made the controls much more pleasant. But the pickups were a chore -- in my opinion, the stock pickups tend to bring out the worst in each other. The bridge either sounds too thin & bright, or the neck sounds too dark & muddy. The SP is much darker than a normal Tele bridge, but it's still got some twang, and the Lollar P-90 is just great, period.

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

sounds like a familiar post ;)

7. david henman

david henman Member

...thanks, eric. i'll come by on sunday, or monday night!

8. -kk-

-kk- Member

anyone else find it funny that the Korean aerodyne sold in the US is more expensive than the CIJ version sold in Japan? ( tho it might be same after import charges)

actually, i was *this* close to pulling the trigger on the CIJ aerodyne tele, but opted for a JM instead.

9. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

My wife's Made in Korea Lakland Glaub P-bass copy is a superior instrument in every way to her USA Fender P-Bass. In fact, it's one of the finest current production basses I've ever seen, as good as her G&L L-2000. Just sayin'... even the Koreans can surpass USA quality.

10. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

David, I took the liberty of putting your name on it, with a hold 'til Sat. close-of-biz. Give the guys at the shop a call and tell them to hang on to it (or I will if I remember). you need to buy this guitar (so I don't have to...).-Eric