Aerosmith leslie sound-what pedal is it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrchris, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Hey guys i just caught a track on the radio driving to work, not sure the song, but it's a recent Aerosmith song- there's this unreal swirly leslie kinda solo on this tune. it totally blew me away. I'm starting to see that i'm not really a chorus guy (just bought a tc chorus LOL!) but i dig that leslie tone!!
    Anyone know what Brad is using? Sorry, wish i had more details on the tune etc.
    cheers
    Chris

p.s there was a pic of Brad's pedalboard a while back anyone got it still?

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The song is most likely titles what it takes.

TYhe solo is Joe Perry, and he is using a telecaster. The effect he uses live is a .. dare I say.... LINE 6 MM4.

I cannot comment what he used in the studio..

3. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

Cool! thanks! i just assumed it was Brad playing as it wasn't the usual riffin' Perry solo but more subtle.
    How come i can't get my line 6 stuff to sound like that??
    C

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I haven't heard the song, but I would guess that they used an actual leslie in the studio.

5. cameron

cameron Member

Almost certainly. Joe Perry used to tour with a real Leslie, until sometime in the mid 90s. I remember reading an interview with him, and he described how his roadies had come up to him, "literally on bended knee" and begged that he replace the Leslie with some kind of effect to fake it.

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

If it is What It Takes that is from Pump recorded in 1989 and is a real Leslie but Joe does use an MM4 live for Leslie sounds. Brad has an MM4 too but uses it for trem, dimension D, Phase and chorus sounds. That pic of Brad's pedalboard and Joe's was posted by Brad's Guitar Tech, Greg Howard under the username guitartech and is in the Pedalboards of the Stars thread. I believe that thread was started by markom89.

7. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I would assume they can afford a real leslie, and some goons to haul it.

CT.

8. guitartech

guitartech Member

Who you callin' a goon? ;)

Actually, the most recent song with a Leslie is "Jaded" from the 'JUST PUSH PLAY' record. In the studio it was a real Leslie, and it's Brad doing the soloing (very subtle short radio friendly solo). Live he was using a L6 MM4, since the Rotosphere is always too noisy in his rig...

9. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Glad you caught this...I thought of you as soon as I read it...