Aesthetic choice assistance, please

That is my not my guitar, but is identical in specs.

What color pickguard would look better than white? The white seems sterile to me, and I want something more interesting. Any suggestions?

Also, it's finished in polyester. I'm a bit tempted to strip the polyester and refinish with a light stain, and a thinner top coat. Thought?

joeybsyc

I wouldn't refinish. Brown tortoise would look good. I don't have any problem with the white 3 ply though. Looks good to me.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
If you head to USA Custom Guitars' website, you can use their virtual guitar builder, mock up a guitar similar to yours, and try a few different pickguard colors on it. I think pearl or tortoise would probably be your best bet.

DCFanatic

My vote is for something like this. My Jazz Bass is set up similarly. I don't think the refinish is worth it. A lot of time and effort and I think it will come out looking pretty similar to the way it is now. Plus it will reduce the resale value. Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the input, dudes. You're all probably right on the refinish. The polyester is just so...thick? I don't know.

While we're at it, I'm thinking adding the full callaham trem setup for $165. Any experience. Worth it?

Imperfection

My vote is for something like this. My Jazz Bass is set up similarly. I don't think the refinish is worth it. A lot of time and effort and I think it will come out looking pretty similar to the way it is now. Plus it will reduce the resale value. Just my 2¢.

:aok

Lovely looking strat!

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the input, dudes. You're all probably right on the refinish. The polyester is just so...thick? I don't know.

While we're at it, I'm thinking adding the full callaham trem setup for $165. Any experience. Worth it?
The callaham trem may be worth it, but are you noticing something lacking with the current trem? I've changed bridges before on guitars that had "inferior" hardware, only to switch back because I didn't like what the change did to it. More expensive doesn't always = sounds better. Now, if you're having tuning trouble, are looking for more sustain, etc, then yes, it's probably worth it.

No tuning issues, really. The guitar is definitely lacking in sustain. Its a MIM FSR from 2004. Has tex mex pickups. (thinking about swapping out for CS 69's)

I got it from Sam Ash as a trade in for a very shoddy 4x12 cab. It's definitely a keeper, and I love the way it plays. Just being a geardo, and looking to personalize it.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Then do it up! I like the tortoise guard, white knob look shown above. Callaham bridge, new pickups, and thrash it until it NEEDS a refin...

Strat87

I'd vote tort. I'd also go for the CS69s, I have a set in one of my strats and they sound great. A nice chiney, almost hollow sound that is still very full if that makes sense. I guess mid-scooped would describe it.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I am over tort. but if you hate the white, it is the best choice.

To increase sustain, you might take the neck off and verify there is no finish overspray in the neck pocket. Then lower the pickups a smidge. Remove the spring cavity cover.
Then consider a hi-mass Trem block.

I hear you about the heavy finish robbing tone.

LanEvo

Try to find a vintage-style, celluloid tort. They have an "open" look...hard to explain. Less plasticky than modern tort.

Here's one example from a Google search: