Aesthetic of Removing a Pickup—

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by seth3, Jan 29, 2015.

1. seth3

seth3 Member

I'm sort of (very sort of) thinking about taking one of my pickups out of an SG, but I can't seem to do it, and the main reason is the aesthetics. I use my neck pickup 99% of the time, and have been lately reading about how Gibson Jr's have inherantly less magnetic pull, resulting in better tone.

But a neck pickup-only SG sounds weird. Any creative ideas on how to make it work?

2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Disable the pickup and drop it into the body as far you can. It should take away most (if not all) of the pull.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Just position the bridge pickup father from the strings? You could even remove the magnet from it.

Or just learn to love it, there's no rock 'n roll with neck pickup only! ;)

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Take out the pickup, remount the cover?

or sell it and get a Jr.

5. aaronmcoleman

aaronmcoleman Member

go to stewmac or one of the other sites and buy a dummy shell to drop in

6. seth3

seth3 Member

The only thing I've seen that's close to what I'm talking about is this:

https://theguitarcave.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/mm3.jpg

I mean, it's half horrendous, half punk/utilitarian-cool. It would be better with a pickguard.

A jr is definitely a consideration, but I like the neck pickup sound more.

Thanks for all of the ideas, guys!

7. Troll

Troll Member

You could have a custom pickguard made (or cut one out yourself) that covers up the hole. It would probably look good on an SG with the larger pickguard, probably not on the smaller one. Not sure which one you have.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A pickup dampens string vibration less at the bridge than the neck, so you're not going to get much change in tone removing the bridge pickup. That's one of two reasons Jrs sound different than Specials (the other is the solider neck joint). Plus, if you just disconnect the wires from the bridge pickup, then there's no current flowing when the strings move thru the magnetic field and consequently no drag on the strings. Removing the pickup isn't necessary.

If you want to lose the couple of ounces the pickup weighs, then taking it out makes sense, maybe just replace it with a piece of pick guard material or recut a pick guard for a neck only pickup (and lose the selector switch at the same time).

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

The hilarious genius who does vintage guitar demos for Fretted America or something took his neck PU out I think. I do think that plays differently on pull (you get more bang ditching the neck than the bridge). IIRC he found an action figure that fit in the cavity or something. That was a good laugh.

10. seth3

seth3 Member

Yeah, MilwMark, Phil X (the genius in question) was sort of the one to get me thinking about it.

But, I didn't know that the different positions had different amounts of string pressure. I think I'll just keep it as it. Thanks, as always, for the advice!