affordable active monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wsaraceni, Nov 3, 2004.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

ok here is the deal. i dont need anything that i am mixing an orchestra with. i want decent, affordable (say under 600 a pair), active speakers. My questions are, will listening to cd's through a computer sound good through these speakers. or will i still need my computer speakers. I want my setup to be amp into randall iso cab, sm57, digidesign mbox, computer. with the monitors hooked up to the mbox. i think this would be great for recording as well as listening to my amp cranked a little at lower volumes but how will these speakers work for say, listening to an mp3 or a cd.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

KRK, make my fave small monitors and they have a range of budget active speakers.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

would you choose them over the mackie 624s. the 624s seem to get good reviews around here and also are in my price range.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I would not.

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

would anyone chose anything over the mackies for equal price.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

No. IMHO of course.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Yes.

8. Screamer

Screamer Member

It depends on what you think will help you better, sound wise. Not everybody hears things the same way. These are going to be used as tools. ;)

Personally, I have the 624's and love them. In the price range you are mentioning I think they would be a great buy. And yes, they sound great for casual listening too, not fatiguing at all. I try to listen to as much as possible on them as it will give me a good point of reference for mixes.

9. jemaholic

jemaholic Guest

Hello gents,

I opened a pro recording studio in Danbury, CT in 1978 back in the dark ages. Samoria Studios to be exact, on Main St. next to the Palace Theater.

I learned a lot over the years and now have a Mackie HDR24/96 in the basement with a few racks of stuff and *gasp* a Behringer MX9000 board.

I don't subscribe to bashing the pacific rim stuff- I use what sounds good to me.

Although I'm glad the ADAT technology days are over, there are some superior sounding powered near-field monitors out there for not a lot of money.
    B-8's, Truths, Yamahas.....

I guess I'm just saying keep an open mind and no reservations when choosing your next pair.

Of course, I want an SST or a Neve board and nothing beats a Studer 2" machine IMHO:dude

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Has anyone ever listened to the Blue Sky stuff?

11. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

You should also look at the Tannoy Reveal Actives. I like them a lot.

A VERY surprising monitor was also the Yorkville Actives. Pretty cheap and great-sounding, altho they won't go super loud.

MG

12. OOG

OOG Member

bashing the pacific rim should not be alowed:D
    love my Yamaha MSP 5's(and 10's)

13. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2a monitors... They're all the buzz over at homerecording.com

I bought a pair and they are FANTASTIC. I bought mine brand new from the guy named "deepwater" for $300 brand new. They are the best kept secret in monitors.

Youc an also check them outhere

14. jzb

jzb Member

I have a set of the Sky 1. I like them more than the Mackies 824's I own or the Yamaha NS10's too (duh!).

I've been thinking of a set of Adams recently.

-j

15. Fuzznut66

Fuzznut66 Member

+1

I have Diamond 8.2 passives