affordable amp sim plugin for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JeffGT, Apr 8, 2020.

1. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

Vcaster, thanks! I did recently check out the Scuffham stuff and thought it sounded great. Contacted them and found out I can't use it because I'm still running Windows 7 with my Pro Tools setup and current plugins. Currently looking into moving on to W10...don't like it but I know I'll have to sooner or later...and trying to figure out what else I'll need to do (read 'pay for') to get my other stuff to keep working. I did get the PRS Waves thing when it was on sale for $39. Can coax some decent sounds out of it but doesn't have the openness, dynamics etc. that I hear with the Scuffham demos. Would love to go Line 6, Kemper or something like that, but outa my price range right now. I will check out Bias and AmpliTube as you mentioned as well.

Thanks very much for the help!

Vcaster likes this.
  2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Another +1 for the lepou stuff if you need REALLY cheap. They are totally free and actually sound very good. The HyBrit is awesome and the clean channel on their XTC is my go to over much more expensive programs. You need an IR loader as it does not do cabs. Plenty of free ones around as well.

3. feet

feet Supporting Member

If you don't mind jumping through a million hoops, PRS supermodels isn't horrible. But it, like all mediocre (and great) amp sims can be vastly improved with really good irs. Waves plug ins go on sale all the time so you might be able to get it for like $30. I use it with wall of sound which makes it way, way better but it's passable as is. Especially if you are recording and you're going to fluff it up with a decent channel strip and some reverb, as you would with anything else.

But my preference these days are the softube Marshall emulations, though $100 a pop isn't really cheap.

4. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

I downloaded the LePou HyiBrit amp sim as I heard good things, including the price:)...can't seem to put it in a place where Pro Tools finds it. Had this issue before. I'm an old analog guy, ok with Pro Tools and such but I've struggled with issue this before. Not sure why I have such a problem. Anyone here with patience enough to lay out the nuts and bolts? I can get it downloaded and unzipped into a folder I think it should work but won't show up under 'Harmonic', 'Sound Field', 'Instrument', 'Other' or any other options I checked.

5. meterman

meterman Member

Not sure about PT but in Reaper if I add a new plugin I need to refresh/recan the plugins folder in the Options menu, maybe something similar in PT?

6. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

Yep tried that, I think I have it in the wrong place but not sure where to put it

meterman likes this.
  7. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Do you not have an option to add folders to the scan? That's what I've done in Reaper.

meterman likes this.
  8. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

I don't know how to do that in Pro Tools, but it sounds good! I'll try and research that, thx!

9. electricity17

electricity17 Member

Jason Calieri likes this.
  10. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

11. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/find-missing-pro-tools-plugins/

12. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

Did the 'trash PT prefs' thing on the Sweetwater site and system freaked out, had to force shutdown and re-start twice before I could open PT. Got it going ok but dang, still no luck with the HyBrit/Poulin plug showing up. I do have one other freebee I downloaded by Ignite that shows up in the 'other' plugin selection. Maybe figure out where that one is and try moving the HyBrit there?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 10:42 PM
  13. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

When it comes to Windows 7 (which I use on three recording computers), I like Amplitube 2 . Check this out, the guitar is plugged right into my interface, and I'm using an Amplitube tweed model...

14. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

Sounds really nice, would like to try it or the Scuffham stuff sometime soon when I can swing the $, thx for sharing!!

meterman likes this.
  15. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Can't go wrong either way. I was already familiar with entry level Amplitube stuff because it came bundled with a DAW software package that I had bought, but then I saw a video with guitar phenom Greg Koch, and his remarks were so positive, that I went with a full blown plug-in suite (Fender Collection 2)...

meterman and Captngeetch like this.
  16. feet

feet Supporting Member

how is it? I really wanted to try it back when I was after an orange but I just couldn't get studio one to acknowledge it's existence. Too late now, I bought a bunch of other crap instead. :(

17. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Supporting Member

Just an FYI. Amplitube has an Orange Collection package. Never tried it. I really only use it on my bass tracks these days. Use the Ampeg SVT w/cab and some rack compression. When I was a hardcore user of it for quiet practice I preferred the Mesa Boogie Triple Rec, The Marshall Red and the Marshall Silver Jubilee

18. feet

feet Supporting Member

At the time, I thought it was pricey, didn't know enough about oranges to make an informed decision, and thought it might be outdated, since it's been since for so long.

I ended up with the softube plexi, which actually gets a little doomy with a little help and is delightful on bass, too.

Still vaguely curious, but not enough to spend a fair bit on something I won't really use, anyway.

19. meterman

meterman Member

That's the one I'm using, I think the Tweed Twin sounds really good!

20. Eric tripton

Eric tripton Member

Amplitude is a great start. After you install Custom Shop app, you can buy each amp one at a time. This is in regards to plugins. Through aMAC or PC. The most an amp could cost is 34 bucks. Lots of free stuff, too.

Captngeetch likes this.