• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

affordable amp sim plugin for recording?

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
At the time, I thought it was pricey, didn't know enough about oranges to make an informed decision, and thought it might be outdated, since it's been since for so long.

I ended up with the softube plexi, which actually gets a little doomy with a little help and is delightful on bass, too.

Still vaguely curious, but not enough to spend a fair bit on something I won't really use, anyway.
If you have IkMultimedia’s Custom Shop installed you can demo it for 3 days (iirc) for free. And you don’t have to try/buy them all..just the one you are interested in. Pretty cool feature. Nothing worse then buying a plugin and it doesn’t work for you or just plain sucks lol

JeffGT

Silver Supporting Member
Have been checking out the Amplitude site...nice stuff but I think to get what I want/need I think it's outa my budget. Working with friends via internet to add guitar tracks to their projects and mostly for free. Amplitude has some great looking stuff but would need the Marshally thing and the Fender thing at least. Wish I could cherry pick 3 or 4 models from the different packages but don't see that as an option

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I use Line 6 Helix Native. It is very reasonably priced - if you have the equivalent hardware; as a standalone purchase it is a bit pricey but it does include a lot more than just amp and cab/ir models and is perfect for re-amping especially as the hardware support direct recording of the unprocessed guitar input. You might consider an HX Stomp as a hardware option and that can act as interface as well as getting the discounted price on Native.
I use this, too. I have an 11 Rack and the S-gear plugs and a few others. I much prefer the Line 6. It's easy to use and tweak. I think I get my best, most useable sounds out of it, especially for cleaner and lighter overdrive and distortion sounds. I don't use a lot of high gain stuff. I think S-gear does high gain pretty well.

JeffGT

Silver Supporting Member
Which Line 6 product would be a good choice for doing both direct recording into pro tools and for using live?...asking because I play out in clubs a few times a month and was wondering about trying the digital stuff as I guess it has come a long way. Live I'm just your typical old Marshall or Fender combo and a few pedals...but I am willing to learn :)

feet

Gold Supporting Member
If you have IkMultimedia’s Custom Shop installed you can demo it for 3 days (iirc) for free. And you don’t have to try/buy them all..just the one you are interested in. Pretty cool feature. Nothing worse then buying a plugin and it doesn’t work for you or just plain sucks lol
I was wondering how this works, because I have little interest in the standard offerings, and if I had to buy the whole thing first, well... there goes any interest I had. I'd much rather pick and choose a few things and not clutter my options with another forty amps I don't care about.

I'll have to keep this in mind for when I get itchy for something specific I don't have.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Trying out the S Gear suite as a trial and it is decent when I use their presents. Don't like how it behaves when I use my pedal board into it though. Any tips for this?

J-PPP

Trying out the S Gear suite as a trial and it is decent when I use their presents. Don't like how it behaves when I use my pedal board into it though. Any tips for this?
What's the issue exactly? I don't remember having any with my setup.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
What's the issue exactly? I don't remember having any with my setup.
Tried it again today and I liked it better than the first time. I don't know how to describe it but it sound kind of "messy" to me. Especially with delay and reverb from my board. When I use their effects it sounds much better, but I would like to use my pedals if possible because I have presets I really like and they just don't sound quite right. Some of my fuzz pedals don't sound quite right either.

That being said, the more I play around with it the better it is sounding. What affects are you using?

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
Tried it again today and I liked it better than the first time. I don't know how to describe it but it sound kind of "messy" to me. Especially with delay and reverb from my board. When I use their effects it sounds much better, but I would like to use my pedals if possible because I have presets I really like and they just don't sound quite right. Some of my fuzz pedals don't sound quite right either.

That being said, the more I play around with it the better it is sounding. What affects are you using?
Sounds like it's a case of effect chain order. Delay and reverb into the front of the amp as opposed to in the loop or at the end.

Does that sound accurate? Time based effects in front, especially with distortion, certainly can sound messy.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like it's a case of effect chain order. Delay and reverb into the front of the amp as opposed to in the loop or at the end.

Does that sound accurate? Time based effects in front, especially with distortion, certainly can sound messy.
I was thinking that too. It doesn’t sound nearly as messy in my personal amp set up but I figured that was probably why. I’ve got five days left on my trial so I’m still deciding. The other day I thought my katana sounded better and today I thought s gear sounded better. So I’m thinking it’s just a learning curve.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
I was thinking that too. It doesn’t sound nearly as messy in my personal amp set up but I figured that was probably why. I’ve got five days left on my trial so I’m still deciding. The other day I thought my katana sounded better and today I thought s gear sounded better. So I’m thinking it’s just a learning curve.
You may also be driving the interface too hard. A properly set up interface is a huge part of getting sims to play nice.

I'd try the line input if you haven't already, and be really careful about your levels going in. I've definitely smashed an input hard and had it distort before without the meters showing me that fact.

electricity17

how is it? I really wanted to try it back when I was after an orange but I just couldn't get studio one to acknowledge it's existence. Too late now, I bought a bunch of other crap instead. :(
I didn't use it much, played with it for a minute when I first downloaded it and it sounded pretty good. I really only use amp sims for song demos, so basically anything decent will work for my purposes. Somebody besides me might have a better reference point, anyways it's free so can't hurt to try it.

For recording, my band has a rehearsal space where I can record amps full volume, so I'm still going old school for anything that gets released.

I think if I was using amp sims, I might try to get two amp models for each part to get a little more dimension, find a blend that works.

meterman

You may also be driving the interface too hard. A properly set up interface is a huge part of getting sims to play nice.

I'd try the line input if you haven't already, and be really careful about your levels going in. I've definitely smashed an input hard and had it distort before without the meters showing me that fact.
That was my first thought too, sometimes the levels coming out of dirt pedals and the like can be pretty high above unity gain and the interface isnt as forgiving as the input stage of a real amp.

Last edited:

feet

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I got the amplitube custom shop and gave a the or 120 and or 50 spin. With the caveat that I have to use wall of sound with it because they won't give you a matching cab to go with it, it's not going great so far. I'm mixing orange and Marshall cabs in wos.

the 120 is alright. It's a lot like my softube Plexi, but with low mids instead of high mids. But it didn't have as much gain as I was hoping for. I wanted to get all doomy and dirt bag like and it just doesn't get there on it's own. I'm not a fuzz guy but boosting it turns it into a darker kk jcm800 kind of thing. Neat trick. It pairs well with other amps since it sits lower in the mix.

The or 50 is just a mess. Too dark, too distorted, too fizzy. Amp demos sound good, but this one sounds nothing like those. Maybe I'll need to spring for the official cabs. I'll keep experimenting with other guitars and cabs and hope for the best.

I might try a few more amps but I get the distinct impression I just won't need them. $25 to $35 a pop isn't a bad deal but you get a few and then you may as well get the whole thing, which I'm trying to avoid. We'll see.

mikefair

Silver Supporting Member
You may want to try one of the Tech 21 Character pedals going into your interface. I think, overall, that's what's given me the most satisfying results. You already have verbs, delays, choruses, etc so you can add that later. You just twist the knobs until it sound right. It's something to think about.

meterman

Well, I got the amplitube custom shop and gave a the or 120 and or 50 spin. With the caveat that I have to use wall of sound with it because they won't give you a matching cab to go with it, it's not going great so far. I'm mixing orange and Marshall cabs in wos.

the 120 is alright. It's a lot like my softube Plexi, but with low mids instead of high mids. But it didn't have as much gain as I was hoping for. I wanted to get all doomy and dirt bag like and it just doesn't get there on it's own. I'm not a fuzz guy but boosting it turns it into a darker kk jcm800 kind of thing. Neat trick. It pairs well with other amps since it sits lower in the mix.

The or 50 is just a mess. Too dark, too distorted, too fizzy. Amp demos sound good, but this one sounds nothing like those. Maybe I'll need to spring for the official cabs. I'll keep experimenting with other guitars and cabs and hope for the best.

I might try a few more amps but I get the distinct impression I just won't need them. $25 to $35 a pop isn't a bad deal but you get a few and then you may as well get the whole thing, which I'm trying to avoid. We'll see.
Honestly what I've found with the IK and Cerebrus ampsim plugins I've tried is that the cleans are passable but the more gain you add the more digital hash you add and it sounds terrible. What I've been doing lately s using the IK tweed or BF Fender models set clean and then using the Cytomic Scream tube screamer plugin after them for dirt which actually sounds pretty damn good in a mix. Not sure if that would give you enough gain though...I've also found that using the overdrive and distortion pedal options within Amplitube sounds better to me than cranking the gain on the amp models, ymmv...

feet

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly what I've found with the IK and Cerebrus ampsim plugins I've tried is that the cleans are passable but the more gain you add the more digital hash you add and it sounds terrible. What I've been doing lately s using the IK tweed or BF Fender models set clean and then using the Cytomic Scream tube screamer plugin after them for dirt which actually sounds pretty damn good in a mix. Not sure if that would give you enough gain though...I've also found that using the overdrive and distortion pedal options within Amplitube sounds better to me than cranking the gain on the amp models, ymmv...

in the intervening time, I tried out a few more amps and eventually ended up with amplitube max, which is most of what they offer, save the latest and greatest. And now that I've had it for a few weeks, I have to admit that I'm very impressed with it. More so than I really expected. Caveats: I'm using it in stand alone mode and I haven't recorded with it yet.

The oranges tend to sound better with their cabinets, yes. And I sometimes prefer to keep the gain down on the amp and use either my preamp or one of their pedals to get the sounds I'm after. Which I do in real life also, so that isn't a huge surprise.

I've yet to come across any digital sheen, but I'm not yet layering overdubs on tracks.

The trick for me is careful manipulation of all the available options; mic selection, placement, cab, speaker choice and channel strip settings all matter. But that would be the case for anything you record, so I don't see amplitube as overly needy. everything benefits from careful tweaking.

Now that I've gone though a lot of it, I have at least five go to clean, breakup, high gain and bass sounds. So I'm up and running in and instant. As in real life, some amps prefer certain guitars and pedals more than others. And though I haven't used most of these amps and can't speak to the authenticity, I'm pleased with the sounds I'm getting. It took a little work to get to this point but it's been smooth sailing ever since.

I'm no longer using wall of sound with it; all sounds are coming from the various included options. I will say that I do prefer my softube Marshalls to amplitube's, so far.

The amplitube tube screamer is pretty good, but the trex pedals ( based on a tube screamer and rat) are awesome and I do prefer those to the generic amplitube versions, especially on bass and low to mid gain stuff.

Trending Topics