Affordable and good sounding bass amp

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by iamdabe, Oct 8, 2008.

1. iamdabe

iamdabe Member

Hey could anyone suggest a affordable and good sounding bass amp? Possibly the cheapest professional grade bass amp one can buy?

2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Member

I think the Ashdown blue series sounds pretty good for the price. They have some good combos that sound really nice.
    Those SWR Working man series or backline series combos are good, too, but the LA series sucks I think.

3. phatster

phatster Member

+1 on the Ashdown...its a combo with either a 12" or a 15",I have the 15" and it is a great amp with plenty of thump.

4. tjedmond

tjedmond Member

I like the Ampeg B100R. Like a solid state version of the flip top amp. Good vintage sounds and loud enough for most club gigs where the bass is DI'ed as well.

5. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Member

I've used those B100R's before, had one for a few club dates I was opening for another band and they let us use their gear, and really, the sound was pretty good at low volume, but once the drums started going and I turned it up, it sounded like a bad crate or something. had some fart issues and maybe I was running it too loud and stuff, but it didn't sound all that great on the gig.

6. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

I have a Trace Elliot V-Type Combo that I am not using.

Local too ... I think - PM sent

[​IMG]

7. Sir M

Sir M Member

Acoustic B200 or B100. Plug N Play at yer local GC... the BEST amp for the most reasonably priced IMHO.

8. jerryroadhouse

jerryroadhouse Member

I can totally agree, I bought the B200H and perched it on there B410 cab from GC for $550 out the door in may. kik'n Ace rig.

9. jbmojo

jbmojo Member

Peavey Minx, the're small, inexpensive, and sound pretty good.

10. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I sold my SWR Workingman's 15 because it was just too heavy and then struggled between the Hartke Kickback 15, Ampeg B100, and Fender Bassman. I was looking for good sound in a smaller (and cheaper) package, but that is a hard combo to find. Ended up going with a Fender Rumble 100 2x10. A little shorter than the Workingman but still pretty bulky. However, I really like the 2x10 config and it sounds really nice for the price.
    [​IMG]

11. ghoti

ghoti Member

I don't know about "professional grade", but my Behringer combo amp hits your other two criteria. Affordable and good sounding it is. I've heard the quality can be iffy on Behringers so I either got lucky or I don't have good enough taste for this board.

It's just a BX 1800, but it had nice specs, I could afford it, and it is (barely) portable. Anything bigger than a medium-sized bar, I'd not recommend it, but for bedroom, church, and some auditoriums and similar venues it's better than some I've heard.

12. Wing

Wing Member

GK Backline BL600 is a pro level head that's not very expensive.

13. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

+1 on SWR working man

14. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've been following this thread, as I am a guitar player, who gets called to fill-in for bass players, at gigs. I was looking at the Acoustic B100 and Warwick Blue 60.

I have a bad back, and normally use the PA for support. I'm currently using my Fender Rock Pro 1000 (100 watt) head, with two PA monitor cabinets, with Eminence Basslite 12's. Would a small bass amp like the B100 or Blue 60, be a step back?

15. justabubba

justabubba Member

the SWR Basic Black (15"); very similar to the working man series which followed it ... just fewer bells and whistles and usually quite reasonably priced

16. Thor

Thor Member

I have an Eden Metro 2x10 combo and am very happy. Used to have a Mesa 400+ rig, and had to down-size, and it is small, powerful, has casters and is very versital. Enough power to fit most needs (can power a second cab if you need it).

There is actually a used Metro over at www.talkbass.com offered up for only $500!!!

Happy hunting,

Edward