Affordable delay pedal for high gain/leads

Jon Bcn

Pretty much that. I could buy a Timeline but I think it will be overkill when everything I want it's just a digital delay for leads.

Recommendations?

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Pretty much that. I could buy a Timeline but I think it will be overkill when everything I want it's just a digital delay for leads.

Recommendations?
If you want flexible AND awesome sound: Nemesis. There's not much this delay can't do and do well.
If price and simplicity are your primary wants: TC Flashback. The 2290 algo on it is great.

BerkeleyJones

Are you persuadable to going analog instead of digital?

The Carbon Copy is stellar for leads, is analog and can be had at $80 used. It was made for high gain bc it is darker and stays behind the note, never muddying things.

IRG

Silver Supporting Member
Similar to the Carbon Copy, I would vote for the Boss DM-2w. A bit longer delay times if you need it, and a bit brighter than the CC, but not like a clean digital delay. Works great with high gain. I love the Boss footswitch too, just works great.

I would go the other way around and suggest a brighter delay pedal for big, fat leads. If you're on a budget, the TC Flashback series are my top suggestion. I would also very seriously consider the Wampler Tape Echo (listen to Burgs demo, when it's used with the Sovereign, for reference).

I also own the Carbon Copy and would certainly suggest it for leads, but not for high gain ones. IMO, with high-gain a dark delay tends to get lost in the overall mix. I generally use it for low-gain / med-gain lead sounds.

Wolfboy1

Kids, Grandkids, and Dogs...that's my life!
Silver Supporting Member
Digitech DL-8. Used less than $90 and many options plus a looper. Built like a tank as well.

digital is what you want for that. DD3 is perfect. there are digital delays w more features but none that sound better.

IMO of course but theres a lof of others that share it.

NielsM

I would go the other way around and suggest a brighter delay pedal for big, fat leads. If you're on a budget, the TC Flashback series are my top suggestion. I would also very seriously consider the Wampler Tape Echo (listen to Burgs demo, when it's used with the Sovereign, for reference).

I also own the Carbon Copy and would certainly suggest it for leads, but not for high gain ones. IMO, with high-gain a dark delay tends to get lost in the overall mix. I generally use it for low-gain / med-gain lead sounds.

I suggested the Carbon Copy, but reading this makes a lot of sense..
I would like to redraw my earlier suggestion:bonk]

Providence Chrono could be a solution with the Echo Hardness control. Very analog like to clear digital.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
digitech obscura; flexible, and beautiful in all modes.

or,
catalinbread echorec; more expensive, with a differenter (echorec!) vibe:

adamajah

For "leads" the go to is usually (not always) an analog bucket brigade type delay. MXR Carbon Copy, or dare I say behringer vintage delay for the cheap chinese (but good sounding) route... :hide2

Also, the Digitech Obscura is killer! Love that thang

bobbyatomic

Used Boss DD3 in the loop and you're done.

digital is what you want for that. DD3 is perfect. there are digital delays w more features but none that sound better.

Have to agree with this. I haven't found anything I like better than the DD-3, it's simple and it just works. I also have a Carbon Copy on my board, it adds a nice depth to your sound without overpowering it, sounds great with cleans, especially with the modulation engaged, but for lead sounds I always use the DD-3.

MattLeFevers

The Carbon Copy is stellar for leads, is analog and can be had at $80 used. It was made for high gain bc it is darker and stays behind the note, never muddying things.

For lead, it's hard to beat a Carbon Copy.

Bjorn Gelotte from In Flames uses a Carbon Copy (I think it's the only pedal he uses) so that's a good enough recommendation for me, haha.

But seriously, if you go with a super pristine digital delay, you may want to get something tap-tempo capable. I've used the DD-3 and the Flashback and both are amazing suggestions but you can hear when they are off time with the song. I switched to the DD-20 so I could tap in the tempo first.

Whereas I haven't personally tried a Carbon Copy but by all accounts you don't have to worry so much with that one because it's darker and kind of fills in your lead sound without it being so obvious what tempo the repeats are. It's very common for metal solos.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom