Affordable Gibson alternative?

jrcorp

I'm trying to cut down my guitars to my Strat and a humbucker model. As a bedroom player, I can't justify having so much invested in gear. My buddy has a nice Les Paul Standard and an ES-339, both great guitars, but I don't feel anything special about either and Gibsons are way too much for me personally.

I recently traded away a MIM Tele for a "modded" (hacked up) Schecter C-1 E/A, which I was excited about. But after stripping it down and cleaning it up, I think its more work than it's worth for me to keep.

I'd love to find a mahogany body, mahogany neck guitar with two humbuckers that I could buy for around $400 used. Semi-hollow would be awesome, but I'm open-minded. Scale length doesn't matter, though some kind of thickness in the neck would be great. I have a few sets of pickups to try so poor stockers aren't an issue.

Brands that I think of include Schecter, PRS SE, and Washburn. Even a mahogany Tele with buckers might suit me well. I'd even try some Epiphones or Gibson studios. The Schecter seemed awesome because it was semi-hollow and felt more or less like a Strat.

Any ideas?

Elduderino73

For a semi-hollow in the best-bang-for-the-buck category it is hard to beat an Ibanez Artcore. Also, look into a Sheraton. Great guitars.

And if you want to cover all your bases, also get a P90 guitar or convert a humbucker-equipped guitar by dropping in some humbucker-sized P90s.

Check out craigslist and Reverb. Lots of great deals to be had.

VintageKnob

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a used Ibanez Am93 for $250.00. For the quality of the build and the tone, it was a gift.
I've tried the Epiphone 339 Pro and I passed. Felt cheap, to me, the Ibanez doesn't.

YMMV - D

smcgov

All Epi archtops are on sale this month... I just grabbed a ES 339 Pro for $399, 335 and Dot are $350. It didn't arrive yet but lots of good comments out there about current Epiphone models.

Jo-Jo Beans

For a semi-hollow in the best-bang-for-the-buck category it is hard to beat an Ibanez Artcore.
This. I've owned an Ibanez Artcore AS93 and an Artist AR325 (not an artcore, but a relative of it in the same price bracket). The Artist was all-mahogany with a beautiful figured bubinga top. Both of those styles of Ibanez have great neck heels and are really easy to play up high. Their new price is about $600 but one can be had used for $400 pretty easily.

Elduderino73

This. I've owned an Ibanez Artcore AS93 and an Artist AR325 (not an artcore, but a relative of it in the same price bracket). The Artist was all-mahogany with a beautiful figured bubinga top. Both of those styles of Ibanez have great neck heels and are really easy to play up high. Their new price is about $600 but one can be had used for $400 pretty easily.
Comfy neck profile too. My first taste of a semi-hollow was my AS93...that I still own. I got spoiled with the way the design allows for great upper fret access. A few years later I decided I simply had to have that classic rounded shape so I bought a Sheraton. Fine guitar but I was disappointed by the upper fret access and thinner neck.

I'm eyeing either an AS153 or 253 simply for the ebony board.

groovington

I agree with the others that say to look into some used Ibanez Artstar (or newer Artcore) series guitars. Great quality for the money you'll spend.

AirForbes1

Edwards, Tokai or another Japanese LP. Don't know about Tokai, but Edwards make 335s at well. But, for semi-hollow, Ibanez are hard to beat for the price. Depends on how much you want to spend, really.

I have a gibson LP, but I still want an Edwards too.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I'd look at a used Epi Sheraton II for that price.

I'd take a REAL hard look at used Gibson SGs though. You can get a Special close to that, and I've seen Standards run $650 or so. Personally, I'd save up for a used SG Standard and just cruise Craigslist until I found one.

pbmw

I played an Edwards 335 a bit ago. Nice guitar.
I have a Epi Dot that works pretty well too.

e???

Heritage for 400? Man I wish... I'd say look into the epiphone pro line. Cool lp's, es's, and all that. I've wanted everyone I've tried

Trending Topics

Top Bottom