Affordable high-gain boogie-in-a-pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by singlecutarmy, Jan 21, 2020.

1. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

I know we discussed this in the other thread already, but the Filaments just replaced my Throttle Box. I sold off the Throttle because the Filaments can do everything it does but better, with more definition and clarity. The Filaments can get more pick attack whereas the Throttle is rounder sounding. Both good, but seriously give the Filaments a try.

Dannyz likes this.
  2. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Thank you again @flyonthewall150

My top options are Filaments, Throttle Box and the Tech 21 US Steel. Since i have a Bogner Burnley in my board, i'll discard the Throttle Box. It may ve redundant two "tubby" sounding pedals.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Since we're talking Tech21, I'd put in a vote for the original Sansamp-the reissue "Classic" should be close to your price range. It does Mesa high gain, but it also does a whole lot of other stuff (Bassman, Marshall-low, mid and high gain). It's a little to wrap your head around since the controls are not intuitive, but it sounds really good (and records great). My only complaint is a little hiss in high gain modes.

Also, worth thinking about the Randall RM13-a little different underlying tone to the DR, but all the brutality you can use, and it'll drive a 412 cab with an onboard 1w amp. A little hard to find, now discontinued.

Dannyz likes this.
  4. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Barber Dirty Bomb should fill the void. It’s out of production, but they appear frequently on the used market for less than a hundred dollars.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  5. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Sadly, this is the worst of that series from joyo. ACT and AS being the best.

AMT R2 didn’t impress me out of the gate, but maybe I should dust it off.

Try a pedal from Mesa Boogie. I’ve tried the emulations in the Zoom MS-100BT and they were good, so the actual pedals should deliver.

You can also try getting a good Dr. Boggie pedal. I’ve heard good sounds from those too.

6. Doutorfunga

Doutorfunga Member

7. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

that pedal takes 1300 ma. thats some serious juice and many adapters dont pass that many ma.

Doutorfunga likes this.
  8. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Member

I do still make them, though with the virus going on one of my main suppliers has been shut down so I haven't been building anythig lately. 1300mA is serious juice for sure, but isn't too bad considering it's running three tubes at full operating voltage. I don't starve the tubes in my pedals. The TrueTone 1Spot delivers 1700mA, and that's what I recommend to people. Unless you're running multiple tube pedals in your chain 1700mA should be more than enough to power a whole board with a daisy chain.

Doutorfunga likes this.
  9. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Member

Brief update nobody asked for, I've redesigned the board for the Wrecking Ball and it should put current draw down around 1000mA. Still a lot, but better than before. I'm hoping to get boards back and start building them in a week or so.

10. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Member

Do you have sound clips of your preamp pedals? Would love to hear

11. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Anything hot Marshall Plexi or JCM800 esque?

12. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Member

I have quick demos I did of a couple up on youtube, I plan to get more when the new boards come in. You can see the ones I have here:
    EDIT: rather than make you dig through my youtube for the videos, I'll post links to the ones I have below.

Funny that you should mention it, I do have a JCM800 preamp that's on this order as well. Here's what I'll have (hopefully in a couple weeks, just got the shipping notification)

Wrecking Ball - Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier preamp
    Black Eye - Soldano Supercharger GTO clone
    JC Emerald - JCM800 preamp (originally designed as two-channel, decided on just dirty channel)
    Particle Accelerator - Alembic F-2B preamp

I have ideas for more that will be on the next batch after this, but this is where I'm starting for my "post-quarantine re-opening."

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Member

So the good news is I got my new re-designed boards in and verified that they work and sound excellent. The first one is already spoken for and will be on its way to Japan(!) as soon as I finish the enclosure.

The bad news is even though my componnent suppliers are open, the virus has screwed with supply chain way up the ladder so a lot of the parts I need are out of stock, and I'm currently running low on tubes (awaiting a shipment from Ukraine). I'm hoping to get as many built as possible so I can start getting them out to the people that have been patiently waiting to try them out.

Times are scary for small businesses right now, but I still have a day job that pays the bills, so even with things slowing down I'm at no risk of shutting down, I promise. These things will get built eventually! :)

spectator likes this.
  14. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

I just picked up a used Mesa V-Twin for $225. I’m still learning the ropes, but with a tube screamer type pedal before it to tighten it up and running into the FX return of my amp, the thing sounds and feels great. But if your budget doesn’t extend that far, I’m probably just bragging at this point, so I’ll show myself out.

Oh, and I have really fond memories of the Blackstar HT-DistX I had in college. With the 3-band EQ and ISF knob, it’ll get you somewhere in the Boogie/5150 arena and sounds great doing it. You shouldn’t have much trouble finding one used within your price range.

Buzzard Luck likes this.