Affordable Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blues junkie, Dec 26, 2005.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Just curious if there is such a thing.I'm gassin for a Les Paul again.But I'M not interested in mortgaging my house to get one.So who makes a Les Paul that is well made that sounds good for around $1,000-$1,200 bucks?I dont care about bells and whistles just a comfy neck and good tone.

thanks.
    Blues Junkie.

2. Did you ever get your LP? I was thinking about the Tokai LPs Ive heard some nice sounding tunes from them.
    tony

3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

4. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

Go to www.guitargai.com . This guy always has some nice japanese made Les Pauls from orville, tokai, burny and greco. Great site, and good deals.:)

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm in the same boat. I just opted for an Edwards Les Paul copy, but haven't received it yet. It was between a new Edwards or a new or used Tokai. I should have it sometime this week and I'll report back on how it sounds and plays. They can be had on eBay from $699 - $1,100 + around $125 for shipping from Japan. Supposed to be real nice, but I don't know just yet. :)

Chris

6. Wally1

Wally1 Member

The japanese made Epiphone Elitist series (not to be confused with the cheaper korean and chinese Epiphone stuff). These are made in the Fuji Gen Gakki factory in Japan and are very nice. Long tenon, bone nut, grover tuners, good woods, etc... I currently have 2 of them and I think they are great! Check em' out at Musicians Friend!

7. karmadave

karmadave Member

Tokai is the best deal going in a Lester-type guitar. I own two (LS-80S & LS-150) and they are both excellent quality. I especially like the neck profiles which seem to be medium C. Not too thick, not too thin. Lightweight as well. The pickups are the only thing I've changed. That's my $.02...

-KD

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I went on a little LP playing spree tonight at GC and tried out a handful of them & only one was even worth of consideration. It was a dark cherry Standard with gold hardware & it was actually very very nice & probably one of the better LP's I've played in ages. With that said the $2200 price tag just didn't seem worth it. Granted, this one was brand new so a used one will be another story. However, after seeing the Edwards Page LP that SgtThump just bought & seeing Lestercollectors sweet little collection of Japanese LP's I'm pretty much sold on going that route. I wish it were easier to try them out before buying though, but at the price point they ask it's almost a no-brainer. After tonight I think I may have to give in to temptation after all. :)

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I hear ya bro. I hope to have that Edwards by the end of this week. I don't know if I'll like it or not, but I'm SERIOUSLY hoping it lives up to the hype. I really want to love it, but I'll definitely give it a fair review.

Chris

10. jsmith45

jsmith45 Member

Did you try any epiphones? I read a review of a handful of Epihone LP's in a British mag last year, and all of them fared quite well (the only complaint seemed to be that they didn't like the tuners).

Jeffery

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

A used Classic would be good. I got a beautiful EC Goldtop, w/Burstbuckers and a plain pickguard and trussrod cover for $1200.

These go all day on E-Bay for $1000-1200, so used they really hold their value.

Loudboy

12. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Not to beat a dead horse but go straight to the Heritage thread. Still made in Kalamazoo and undervalued on the used market.
    Love my H157

13. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I agree, a New Heritage is the best deal out there. A used Heritage is an even better deal.

14. jsmith45

jsmith45 Member

I have yet to see a new Heritage on sale anywhere. Who sells them new?

Jeffery

15. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Been down that road too many times my friend - cost me alot of money & I've learned this .... If you want a LEs Paul, do NOT settle for less, you WILL be disappointed. Sure, lots of guitars come close, but I haven't found one yet that nails the LP tone & vibe. For now, grab a LP Studio ... used. It won't set you back more than $700 & you can save up for your dream guitar. My current studio plays & more importantly, SOUNDS as good as any LP Standard I've ever owned. In the dark, I bet nobody could tell the differnce between it & a Standard...

HT

16. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I currently have a Les Paul Classic and I previously had a Les Paul Studio, both of which I think you could get used for that kinda cash, and both of which I would highly recommend. I ended up replacing the pickups on the Classic because I felt they were too harsh. Other than that they are both great guitars.

17. larryl

larryl Member

Buy a USED HAMER Studio Custom - hand made in the U.S. and totally undervalued and under-appreciate in the resale market. You can find them for $1200 up on eBay and around.....retail NEW is $2400.

18. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Its hard not to be offended when you call MY LP Studio junk ...

HT

19. jsmith45

jsmith45 Member

Yikes! I was going to get a LP Studio or LP Mahogany, but this thread is pushing me to Epiphone Elite Standard Plus.

Some help here?

Jeffery

20. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

look around and find a dealer who is willing to sell you a good 01 or earlier by a year or two lp standard for around 1500. I got mine les than a year ago NOS 2001 model lp standard pluss. I was very lucky to find it. I personally don't like the 02 and up as they changed the standards. Get a regular old production model standard-----the benchmark.