Affordable PA Systems for Rehearsals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FFTT, Apr 27, 2008.

1. FFTT

FFTT Member

What's out there in a system capable of covering vocals clearly
    over live drums at basement volumes.
    Nothing too big or small.

Powered monitors seem to be the way to go, but what's good
    and what's junk.

4-8 inputs is plenty but prefer +4 pro connectivity.

The stuff from Yamaha and Yorkville looks interesting.

Any suggestions?
    Trying to keep it under $1500.00

2. photios

photios Member

I just bought a Yamaha EMX512SC and 2 Yamaha S115's for my private rehearsal space here at home a few weeks back. I've had 2 other small PA's and this one is by far the best...in a different league really. Its really loud and has a really clear, full, nice tone. It easily swamps over my 100 watt guitar cab...hell its loud enough to run a small club with and it fits your budget.

3. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Mackie 808...I have one...that and two Community speakers...and there you go...

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Yamaha set-up looks ideal, but I'll bet you want some heavy duty
    sound poles to carry them, so need to add in that cost.

I'm sure this thread can help a lot of people. Thanks

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Fortunately, the drummer in our band has the big sound system but I keep a small one for small gigs and basement jams. I bought two, new Electro-Voice SX 100+ speakers (12" speaker plus tweeter) and a used, 8 channel SoundTech powered mixer for under $1,000.

These speakers can be put on stands, tables, suspended or because of their design, angled up at you from the floor, which is how I use them at basement jams. I bought a pair for $650 from a local dealer during a sale. Here's what they look like:

[​IMG]

And here are the specs:

http://electrovoice.com/products/200.html

The slightly-used, SoundTech powered mixer was $300 from a private sale.

I've been quite happy with this setup and it sure is easy to move up and down basement stairs because each piece is lightweight. There's plenty of power for vocals over drums. I've even used it outdoors at gigs for vocals-only when the amps and drums aren't miced.

It's also a nice platform for acoustic guitars and modellers.

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have the same setup. 808S and C35's Bought off craigslist total cost was $450
    Speaker stands from GC $40

7. 6789

6789 Member

8. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

For $1500 you could have a field day at CARVIN..

9. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

10. drjojo42

drjojo42 Member

qsc has a 12 inch speaker in their hpr series it sounds great and you can use it as mains later,I use the ev250sxa for monitors they are loud and clear about 700-800each,If your going to be buying pa gear do it soon all this stuff is going to be going up.buy good quality gear Id rather have one pro speaker than a bunch of stuff that sounds like mush.Yorkville makes good stuff too

11. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I agree! This past year I picked up a small Carvin system for a bit over that but included a powered 16 channel board in a road case with a pair of speakers, speaker stands, 2 Carvin mic's and cables. Also, zero percent interest for 12 months on the Carvin card! My band plays 80's hard rock covers and combining this with a couple monitors and better mic's we play smaller clubs around here with it. Next up, we'd like to add some subs to the system.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm trying to reduce complexity and clutter, so that's why I was thinking
    Active monitors but don't know how much power to keep vocals clear above
    the instruments.

13. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

Thing is, I think most good active cabs are going to kill your $1500 budget since you still need a board. Don't know what the Yorkville's cost but something like JBL or QSC powered stuff is not going to be cheap. I use a QSC HPR122i powered monitor for my Axe-Fx and that was ~$800 new.

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have a Soundcraft Gigrac 1000.

You can get them for about $450 new or $350 minty used

Spent another $275 on a pair of EV 12" monitors and will look to spend around $450 or so for a pair of decent mains.

The Gigrac is a great tool.

Emee

15. Scotty_Guitar

Scotty_Guitar Member

Another vote for Mackie 808S, and Carvin gear.

Through 2 Carvin LM15 for FOH, and 2 LM12 for monitors makes a great versatile system. Light weight and fairly cheap.

23 years ago my Chicago blues band bought a Carvin powered PA head w/ 6 inputs. It's still going strong.

Powered speakers are a drag when you have to lift them twice a night... gets old fast. Then if one has a problem, replacements are more expensive. Non powered speakers with a powered mixer is the best compromise, IMO.

16. miks

miks Supporting Member

Get a pair of Mackie SRM450's and a yamaha mixer. :)

17. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

The 808 is a great choice. My buddy has one that we use for small gigs. That a couple of 15" Yamaha mains and a couple of 12" yamaha wedges and we have sound for days.

Scott

18. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

+1 on the Mackie 808. Our band rehearses with an 808S using just floor monitors. Works great.

19. freaksho

freaksho Member

we use the 8-input Yamaha, which looks to be nearly identical to the Mackie. either would be great. plenty of power and utility. and very easy to take out to a venue if needed.

and something about powered speakers just bugs me. i don't know what it is. maybe all the cheesball wedding DJ's i've seen with them or something. so do me a favor and get passives. we use 15" JBL's and they sound pretty great to me.

this system works great with an iPod at parties too.

20. Crikey

Crikey Member

That sort of depends on the instruments. Tweed Deluxes, or Marshall stacks? 1x12 bass combo, or Ampeg SVT?

I bought a cheap, crappy GEM Sound 15" two-way powered speaker for $180 because it has two mic inputs and one line input in the back, we have simple vocal needs, and the band isn't super loud (Roland Cube 60 with nylon and steel string guitars, 1x12 bass combo). I'm not proud of it, but it's doing the job.

One of my reasons for going this way was the complexity/clutter factor -- I don't want to haul any more junk than I have to, and when we get the band together I get stuck setting up the PA and I'd rather spend the time playing music than wiring a mixer to the speaker(s).

Good luck!

Crikey