1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

affordable practice amp with fx loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slowth, May 16, 2011.

1. slowth

slowth Member

I've just started electric not too long ago and in church we're always going direct to PA, as such I set up my pedalboard to have a cabsim out (AMT SS-11a).

Well I've read that it'll work alot better going into an amp via the return jack instead of the standard line-in... since after going through the whole pedalboard it goes back into the amp drive stage which isn't ideal right? Correct me if i'm wrong! i'm so noob at this..

So what affordable amp would have the return jack? I've seen many cheap amps with just a single line-in jack for guitar direct in.

Thanks for any help!

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Look at Fender amps. The Hot Rod Deluxe may be what you're looking for. They are a great pedal platform too. There are so many out there you could get one used in the $400 range.

Good luck!

3. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

VHT Special 6 Ultra.

4. slowth

slowth Member

So i can confirm that a if I wanted to use my pedal effects that I really shouldn't be looking at any amp with just a guitar input yes?

Just wanna get my theory right!

5. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Member

There's nothing wrong with simply putting your pedals between your guitar and amp. but you'll get a different sound putting them on an effects loop, primarily because any preamp distortion you get will run into your phaser, flanger, wah, etc. Instead of distorting a flanged signal, you'll be flanging a distorted signal, for example, which some people prefer. Nothing right or wrong either way.

6. slowth

slowth Member

the former would be with an fx loop and latter if I went guitar>pedals>amp yes?

mmm i haven't really explored these "unorthodox" methods so I thought i'd better go the safe road for now! but it is comforting to an extent that it's not something "bad" per se...

7. ledfloyd

ledfloyd Member

I like the Egnater Tweaker. Generally, you should have Compression, Boost/OD/Distortion and EQ effects before the amp and Modulation, Delay and Reverb effects in the amp's Effects loop.

8. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

9. slowth

slowth Member

hmmm...

if i got an amp without a fx loop.. would using the amp purely clean with 0 drive have the same effect as an amp with a loop?

Cos i suddenly realized that i wouldn't want to be disconnecting my pedal board all the time? (remove the drives and put it before the amp, and then remove the delay/reverb and put it into the loop, quite inconvenient no?)

10. Sikor

Sikor Member

+100

More than affordable, great tone and has fx loop :aok

11. Milo

Milo Member

VHT Special 6 Ultra,like Phoenix already suggested. Awesome possibilitys with that amp.
    Edit: its cheapo but great quality. Even very low price here in Europe. I tried it over an our or so,and will buy soon.

12. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Egnater Tweaker ftw -- perfect church amp if you can get away with not going direct and practice amp - plus pair it with a bigger cabinet and it can hold up on a gig