Affordable Reverb Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by T-Hans, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. T-Hans

T-Hans Member

I just bought a used VHT special 12/20, the version without reverb built in. I'm looking for options of a good but affordable Reverb pedal (around $50-75 would be great, even used) to run through the amp. I'm hoping for something with a good basic sound, that feels like a good built-in or spring reverb unit. What suggestions do you have?

2. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

That price range might be tough.
    Ehx Oceans might be a good place to start.
    Maybe look into all the Chinese clones as well.
    Check out @Tri Pedal Reviews youtube for some reverb comparisons as well.
    Good luck.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  3. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Biyang makes a very budget-friendly reverb pedal that has gotten some good reviews.

It's part of their "Baby Boom" line. So if you have a child in the house, you may need to be careful, I guess. Or maybe if you don't have a child... Not sure, really. The name is not easy to interpret. But the pedal has some good reviews, irrespective of what it's gonna do to the number, or existence, of your offspring.

outdoorpja and '90s Pacifica like this.
  4. scook

scook Supporting Member

You can probably find a used hall of fame v1 and/or a used hall of fame mini for close to $75

andy474x, CRWolf and GeorgeNada like this.
  5. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Digitech Polara can be had for $80 new and sounds great. Even cheaper, the Joyo Space Verb has a decent plate setting for about $50.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. CRWolf

CRWolf Silver Supporting Member

Was also going to suggest the Mini. There are plenty on reverb around $80, so I'm sure you can grab one solidly on your price range if you throw a couple offers out there.

scook likes this.
  7. Riffa

Riffa Member

On the lookout for a cheap verb, too. Caline Snake Bite (weird name for a reverb pedal) and Byiang Tri Reverb seem good. Marshall Reflector, too, but I’ve read too many bad reviews on its reliability.

8. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

If you can find a good used deal on an RV-6 I’d go that way. I really think it’s a great sounding reverb and has one of my favorite spring sounds I’ve heard. Also has the reverb+delay mode which is pretty nice too.

big-ez and Flouncingfleasbag like this.
  9. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

I would say Hall of Fame 1 or 2, it's popular and always available used, I just saw a $75 listing the other day. I personally wasn't a fan of it but it's used by touring musicians and you can fine tune your perfect reverb with the software interface.

It's also good if you're not sure what kind of reverb you like as it has several options.

10. BlueLou

BlueLou Supporting Member

I was going to +1 the Polara. Slightly outside your range, but would think that it would cover what you want plus give you plenty of options should you want to get experimental.

LordByron and Scheckenbacker like this.
  11. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Caline Snake Bite is excellent, especially considering its price point (about 40 dollars), but doesn't do spring very well.

I bought a Biyang Baby Boom when it first came out, and it arrived DOA. I sent it back.

Riffa likes this.
  12. Dr.Twang!

Dr.Twang! Supporting Member

Hall of fame mini is tiny and programmable with TonePrint wirelessly over your phone...a boatload of great reverbs. Paid $50, have 2-one on each board

13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

That's a delay pedal, not reverb :cool::p

14. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

You are correct! Edited!

15. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Go used - a Boss RV-5 or Digitech Hardwire or similar

16. mister_finch

mister_finch Member

The TC Drip is a nice and cheap spring 'verb. If you like options, there's the Skysurfer too - but it doesn't sound nearly as good IMO.

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

The Keeley Omni reverb is really nice, but I don’t think it would be quite in the price range. The old EH Nano Grail is always a nice budget options, just not as slick and feature laden.

18. D.G.

D.G. Member

There’s no such thing as a good cheap digital spring reverb, not when you know what the real thing sounds like! For that I’ve found the Source Audio True Spring to be the best, even compared to the real springs in my PRRI and DRRI.

However, that said, I’ve liked the Ehx nano well enough, especially at low levels.

LordByron likes this.
  19. Pope Murphy

Pope Murphy Member

This the real answer. If you can't find at least a handful of sounds that you like out of one of these, maybe reverb isn't what you need. Works great in fx loop if that's what you're into. Tons of great sounds for cheap.

20. miamimart

miamimart Member

What didn't you like about it?