Affordable Scalloped guitars enlighten me

herrlogi

Ive recently bought a beat up old jackson that has scalloped frets. Mostly for the pickup and floyd combination but I found out im really loving the scalloped frets. Sad part to finding this sweet guitar is that the frets are worn pretty badly and ive read its hard to get a scalloped board refretted.
So i got into looking for affordable scalloped guitars.
Mainly I am looking for a model that comes out scalloped. instead of buying a regular strat and replacing the neck. "this would be my last resort"

So shout out to know all the brands and types that come out of factory scalloped and on the affordable price range.
By the way: prefered full scalloped not just the upper ones

herrlogi

Warmth will scallop a neck for ya.........
Indeed and some other company's will scallop it when you send them your neck but Id like to know if there is any company besides the Malmsteen and Blackmoore strats that come out already scalloped
thanks for the info though

TylerE

Honestly just get a modern shredder type guitar like a Schecter with extra jumbo frets and that'll get you 90% of the way there. The guys who were scalloping in the 70s had old Fenders with vintage baby frets.

TheFlyingBear

You should get the frets leveled on your Jackson if they're in rough shape. I understand wanting a refret on a normal neck rather than a fret level if you don't like low frets, but you should be able to level the frets on your scalloped down to practically nothing and you'll still be able to get a good grip.

xntrick

The only one I know of is the YJM signature strat, but that is not what most people call affordable. I have seen builders from time to time offer cheap strats with scalloped necks. That's how I got mine, but it sounded horrible. After new pick ups, tuners and a bridge it is a great budget guitar. And no, the jumbo frets on a standard guitar don't offer the same feel.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
I scalloped my Strat years ago and found that I got the same benefit with higher frets.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Ok guys thanks already but as i mentioned in first post a neck replacement is not what im asking about. I know some company's for that but im looking for scalloped guitars as is.
Apart from the ones mentioned there aren't any.

I know you want a completed guitar scalloped, but you also said affordable. There is not much to do but keep haunting eBay and reverb searching for scalloped and see what turns up.

It's going to be hard to beat the price of Warmoth. You would just need a Fender spec body with pickups and hardware you like.

If you were to do a Warmoth neck, you could do roasted maple and stainless frets. The roasted maple wouldn't need a finish(they also have several other woods that don't require a finish) and the stainless frets will last a long, long time.

Here is everything on eBay in Electric Guitars with "scalloped" in the description. They don't all have scalloped necks, though.

http://www.ebay.com/dsc/Electric-/33034/i.html?_from=R40&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=scalloped&_sop=16

Last edited:

therealting

If you're really set on doing it cheaply and you have time, get some files and give it a go. I scalloped the top octave of a cheap Strat once, and it was a lot of fun and a neat experiment.

herrlogi

If no affordables can be found from factory ill probably go the warmoth on a strat route.
Although i was hoping for a neck through instead of bolton.
Already have a nice american strat but i would probably get a mexican to mod

Dubious

not sure why it would be harder to refret a scalloped board? have you spoken to a luthier?

herrlogi

Havent asked directly yet I had read refretting scallops was quite difficult but ill send some pics and ask him. will keep this updated

Trending Topics