Affordable Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stike, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Member

I got my wife a new Honda Civic Type R. Awesome little car. But she has also had the more tame Civic Si. You can get those new for less than 25k. Not the fastest or most exciting but a really good fun car with a great shifter and super reliable. Does everything pretty well.

I also like the Subaru WRX. They are pretty darn fun too.

Dr. Tweedbucket and MightyGuru like this.
  2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

You bought your wife a Type R ? How cool is that ? I just got my wife a regular Civic Ex and it's a wonderful car. Would love to drive a R.

3. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

During the early 90's the doctors parking lot at the hospital I worked at was littered with Nissan 300ZXs and Mazda RX-7. Man, they were beautiful cars. Then the SUV fad hit and those cars were all replaced by 1st generation civilian AM General Hummers. Never mind the fact that all of the doctors little less than a few city blocks from the hospital. *rolls eyes*

Anyways, I'd love to get one of those early 90s 300ZX's or RX-7s. They were gorgeous.

Thumpalumpacus and brettk7 like this.
  4. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I really like my '15 BRZ....I invested in an OpenFlash and put in a Pedal Commander. Just right for fun winding roads and can surprise a few folks as well.

5. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

The hilarity of calling a Subaru anything a sports car makes me laugh to no end. I'm not sure some folks in this thread really no what a "sports car" is. Yeah, miatas are cool if you're a mom from the 90s. I don't care if it has a rotary engine or not.

bushitsuki likes this.
  6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

After reading your post I'm wondering if you know what a "sports car" is... :rolleyes:

Jonny G, Wrmbrnr, brettk7 and 8 others like this.
  7. scott944

scott944 Member

guitargeek6298 likes this.
  8. Stike

Stike Member

Yep. Terrible car for moms. :p He also doesn't know that Miatas have never had rotary engines.

9. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

A lot of folks around here have Subaru WRX's. They would certainly argue that they're sports cars. Good in snow, too. I know of one person who modded his up to >700hp.

I use to have a Genesis Coupe. Loved it. I'm still pissed that Hyundai discontinued it. They had an opportunity to evolve a car that would have improved their brand image massively and they threw it away.

10. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Gotta go with some muscle. Mustang, camaro, challenger....

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I love my Mini Cooper S. Never understood why there isn't more love for this car, my theory is because it isn't cheap cheap. Well, it's a BMW, so there's that.

12. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

None of those are true "sports cars" IMO. :dunno

NB_Terry likes this.
  13. germanicus

germanicus Member

Its semantics at this point for the camaro and mustang.
    The Challenger is still mostly straight line speed, but not really for the other two on their current chassis.
    If performance matters at least.
    Especially when the current ss 1le/gt pp2/gt350r and zl1 wipe the floor with cars costing 3x as much on technical tracks.

If you want to be technical and define sports car as a 2 seater, than 911s arent sports cars (see how silly that sounds).

14. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Challenger. Not really "sprots cars," more like sporty muscle cars. A lot of people will never truly understand the difference betseen "handling" and "ride."
    Small block in a Miata? That might seem cool, but the imbalance created will make it push more than the already typically understeering Miata's already do.
    My personal preference is Alfa Romeo. Benn driving them since 1975. But they are certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
    But I do agree with what many have said here....unless it's an original Mini from the 60's, stay away from FWD. True sports cars like to be "tossed around."

15. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

What is your definition of a sports car? New, in your price range, you may want to at least consider some v8 power... mustang and camaro handle a whole lot better than they used to...(not being snarky, just conversing)

16. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

I'm fairly certain that nearly any sports car outside of exotics, classics, and certain rarities can be found for under $30k in some form, used.

17. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

2001 Toyota Sienna.

Thumpalumpacus and NB_Terry like this.
  18. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

R-tune dat b*tch!

twinrider1 and milli vanilli like this.
  19. DFB1

DFB1 Member

A friend has an '05 Mini S.
    That car is so much fun to drive.

20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

Ummm... what do you call a car with 700+HP and does 0-60 in under 4.00 seconds? A mini-van?

What's your definition of a "true sports care" then?????