After 2 pots in 1 year, done with Goodrich volume pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Marcusd, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Marcusd

Marcusd Member

Anyone else have a terrible experience with this pedal?
    I'm a guitarist so it didn't even get that much use, and 2 pots became scratchy within a year
    Unacceptable.

2. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Sorry to hear its been troublesome.I was just considering a Goodrich.

I have a 90s stereo Dunlop pedal-Or Ernie Ball?? I never used it with electric-it seemed to kill the feel of guitar to amp...

Ive always been a bit suspicios of vol/ pedals...but Im looking again!

JF

3. Less=more

Less=more Member

I heard of other problems with the goodrich. this caused me to pay the price and get the Thru-tone modded EB volume.

4. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

5. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I had a Goodrich volume pedal. A nicer model - it took 4 months of regular use to develop a scratchy pot... Sold it and picked up an Ernie Ball VP Jr. for $45 used.

I sent it to T1M for modding - installed split buffer to take the tuner out of my chain and maintain signal, and it sounds incredible! All for less than $100.

I highly recommend that route. Goodrich has too many horror stories to believe the success stories, IMO.

6. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

IMO, all Expression, Volume, Wah, and such should ALL have sealed pots.
    I bought a Rocktron Hex whateverthehelltherestofthenameis Expression/Volume pedal.
    Didn't have a sealed pot. Had the same kind of pot you would have in a guitar.

The pot was toast in less than a week (I live on a horse ranch/boarding stables and its very dusty here).

Got myself a Visual Sound Volume pedal and haven't had that problem.
    The taper on the pot (which IS sealed) took a little practice to get the swell thing going to my liking though.

7. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've had a Goodrich for years with no problems.

8. chops612

chops612 Member

Nothing wrong with this mod if thats all you need, but the OP and other are having issues with the pot's etc... A solid build and sealed is a must in these pedals for sure.

9. Marcusd

Marcusd Member

Bought a Hilton.
    I've heard people have great luck with Goodrich pots...but it seems the newer ones are VERY unreliable.
    I'd rather pay a little extra and not have to chance a scratchy pot if I breath on it wrong.
    Funny thing is its almost impossible to contact Goodrich to complain ...coincidence ?

10. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

There's a reason the EB is the industry standard. No one should spend more than a hundred bucks on what is literally a volume pot mounted onto a treadle.

11. juanbono6030

juanbono6030 Member

I agree mine went scratchy not long after I bought it. Moved on to a boss fv500l and never looked back.

12. dagjonas

dagjonas Member

I went through too many pots with my Goodrich-pedal when I played pedal steel guitar. Wouldn't have bought one now if I was to buy a volume pedal.

13. throbert

throbert Member

14. npfrs

npfrs Member

Had a Goodrich, got rid of it after a few months. Now have a Boss fv500l.

15. Jove

Jove Member

Gotta jump on the bandwagon here. I had a passive Goodrich after everyone recommending them..."If the steelers use them then obviously they're the bomb!"....and the pot became scratchy within a few months. I'll change it out at some point and hopefully restore it's usefulness but it's just been sitting on a shelf.

Also, in regards to Goodrich customer service. That's pretty poor as well from my experience with an old LDR volume pedal where the power jack broke off..I was interested in having it fixed and essentially was told no one could do anything about it? Offering to pay whatever...such a strange thing.

I think I'll go for a Hilton next time in the market.

J

16. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I just got a Goodrich volume pedal on the bench to change a scratchy pot.
    Funky string setup!
    Incidentally they use a sealed pot from PEC Canada.The pot itself is top quality but there have been stories about them still getting dust inside.
    After seeing how well made those pots are inside,I'm wondering how dust gets inside or they become scratchy.
    Two things come to mind here: is it carbon dust from the hot molded element or dust from outside the pot getting inside?
    Either way,I drilled a hole in the cover so I could spray control cleaner inside and it worked.I removed the cover to drill the hole.Then I used a dab of silicone seal on the hole so I could remove it later if it should become scratchy again.
    I do have a question about these pedals:
    Is the volume lowest with the pedal up or down?If it like a conventional Ernie Ball then it's at full volume down.The reason I ask is the online video showing string installation shows it to be reversed.

17. strangesounds

strangesounds Member

I've got this in my Goodrich. Works great. The pot from Goodrich did go bad too quickly, but this pot is great. Here's where you can buy it direct from Tom Bradshaw. Great service! http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php

(p.s. while EB's work fine, I love the sweep on my Goodrich for swell effects much better than the EB I had)