• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

After 3 months off playing, I need a new axe

buzzp

Supporting Member
I really want a new acoustic around the 500-750 range and I was hoping to get a Martin. I will probably sell my Takamine Santa Fe.. it doesn't seem to project the way I want it to. I don't think it's a technique thing because I can get a lot of other acoustics to project. What would you all recommend?

Seorie

I really want a new acoustic around the 500-750 range and I was hoping to get a Martin. I will probably sell my Takamine Santa Fe.. it doesn't seem to project the way I want it to. I don't think it's a technique thing because I can get a lot of other acoustics to project. What would you all recommend?
What d'ya mean 'project' Buzz - can you tell us another way, what it doesn't do.

buzzp

Supporting Member
Sorry- like it doesn't have a BIG open full sound... sounds very limited if that makes sense. It doesn't ring and it hardly has and body to it regarding the bass and midrange... maybe I need to put some humidifier packs in there? I don't know if lack of humidity is why it sounds like it does.

bob-i

I feel the same way about my Takamine, it's simply not opening up the way I'd hoped.

I just picked up a used Taylor 214ce and even though I haven't gigged with it, I think its gonna be a keeper. I tried new Martins in that price range and was disappointed. I did find a nice used Martin at $1100 but every Martin I played in my price range (basically the same as yours) was a let down.

In my experience Takamines tend to be over-built which doesn't help much with tone production or projection.
I suggest you look at Yamaha's 'L' series as great sounding alternatives. The LL6 is a consistently good-sounding, well-built model. They also come in orchestra (LS) and small Jumbo (LJ) versions. The all-solid 16 series are especially fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgupVaHFcIE

dnauhei

I would look for a used Martin D16gt. They vary a bit but there are some truly excellent ones out there. You could probably get one for $750. Mahogany or rosewood, your choice.

Residentia

Silver Supporting Member
Guitars sound different out front to a listener than to the player. Are you making your eval on what you hear while playing, to what knowledgeable listeners tell you, to recording of your guitar, you listeneing while someone else plays your axe....??
MS

buzzp

Supporting Member
You know what, I haven't sat in front of ANYONE playing my guitar, but a lot of people have described it as tinny and trebly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom