• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

After a delay pedal

JonSick

Amp is 6505+, I play metal.

I'm only looking for a delay to use for solo tones.

I have a DD7 and a Digitech Delay. I found that both seem to knock out a good amount of the low end even when not in use.

As the DD7 sounds fine on my Marshall head and I make more use of it there as it's a different band/sound. So I'm going to move it to that pedalboard permanently.

So that leaves a space on my 6505+ board for a new delay.

So given all I need is solo tones (think EVH, Skid Row, etc), what should I go for that won't suck out the low end too much?

JonSick

My effects chain includes a hall of fame reverb; I like it quit dripping and wet. Err... in a tonal way.

I usually sit the DD7 on 800ns, with the feedback and delay somewhere near the 9pm-10pm positions. Then that goes into the reverb but without too much mix.

After experimenting, it sounds better with my other rig and I use a lot more options on it. So, all I need for the 6505+ rig is something that sounds good with a similar level of delay. It will be a set and forget type situation, but I don't think I need to go to the expense of another DD7 to do it. Plus something with less low-end loss.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
If you're looking for more of a set and forget delay with less low end set to 800ms, I'd recommend a tape style delay (El Capistan, Empress Tape Delay). I know the El Cap has analog dry through, and any Strymon pedals I use do not affect my tone used through the FX loop. Trouble is, those are definitely a greater expense than the DD7. You could also try the Digitech Obscura set to tape, much less expensive. It has an external switch for trail(buffered) and true bypass. I've had odd experiences with Boss and Digitech, in that most of the time their buffers have no effect on my rig, but occasionally I'll get one that does, and I've had some rare cases of having two of the same pedal where one affects my tone and the other doesn't. Moral of the story, if it seems odd try another.

I'd like to recommend the Carbon Copy Bright, but it only goes to 600ms, and due to a mail delay I still haven't received it and can't speak for it :/

dbp512

It depends what you want. I'm a huge fan of catalinbread delays, and I love the tape sound of the belle epoch. You can often find one in the emporium for about $150.

ArtDecade

Anyone else curious about why a Boss DD7 pedal would be cutting off low end when not in use? That's not exactly something that a buffered bypass does.

JonSick

No idea why it does cut low end, other than it just does.

The chain from the Peavey's FX Send-Return is MXR 10 band => NS-2 Noise Suppressor (4CM) => DD7 => TC Hall Of Fame Reverb => Return.

By physically plugging out the DD7, there is definitely a difference in low-end. Not loads, but some.

I'm powering everything with the G-Lab Dunlop DC Brick clone.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
I agree with the post above:

El Cap
Obscura Altered Delay

These are great products that should meet your needs.

BoTheMu

Anyone else curious about why a Boss DD7 pedal would be cutting off low end when not in use? That's not exactly something that a buffered bypass does.
It's probably just the additional high end the buffer restored giving the impression of less bass. :confused

Reactions: Ivo

ArtDecade

It's probably just the additional high end the buffer restored giving the impression of less bass. :confused
Maybe. The Boss is not cutting low end. There is nothing in that buffer design that would cause it to do anything like that.

Reactions: Ivo

Turi

Up the bass or your amp, or get a cheap EQ pedal and put the low end back in.

vbrans

FX loops usually prefer a line level signal. Pedals usually use instrument level. Some pedals allow you to switch from line level to instrument level. A true bypass pedal could also solve the problem of your tone changing when not using the delay.

ClassicLP

Do you have looper/switcher that you could put it in? That is what I do and the problem is solved. I do some the same hard rock as you mentioned. I use Charvels ans LP into Mesas for that gig.

JonSick

FX loops usually prefer a line level signal. Pedals usually use instrument level. Some pedals allow you to switch from line level to instrument level. A true bypass pedal could also solve the problem of your tone changing when not using the delay.
I seem to remember reading somewhere about the loop on the 6505+ was somehow different to other loops... and thus needed... help.

Sorry not being clear, as I don't know what I'm talking about...

Trending Topics