After a false start: Koll Kontent - IT'S HERE!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pirateflynn, Jul 12, 2019.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Or at least I hope so.

It started Monday when I received the tracking number from the seller of a Koll Duo Glide. I paid for USPS Priority shipping and at that point all looked well. Checking in each day, I saw the package was making its way from Washington state to California as expected. The status updated to Out For Delivery yesterday morning - Cool ! That was pretty fast. USPS estimates 2 to 3 day service for Priority and looked to be arriving on the second day.

I waited around and checked in from time to time when I noticed USPS tracking marked it as delivered to the front door/porch. Huh? No knock at the door?
    I open up. It's not there. I look all around - the two sides of the house, my back gates, I even checked inside an unlocked car in the driveway. Nothing! No guitar box.

Back to my laptop, I notice that tracking states it was delivered to an unfamiliar Zip Code in downtown L.A., no further information. Despite seeing the wrong Zip Code, I immediately start scanning the neighborhood. I circled several blocks looking at front porches, and stop at each street with the same street number as mine, no luck. Damn! Time to message the seller and call USPS.

40 minutes on hold basically got me a disappointing answer. The package was shipped and delivered to the correct address, though it is not mine! and USPS cannot share the information with me due to privacy. The Zip Code suggests the property is about 20 miles away and in one of the worst areas of Los Angeles. Can you imagine? A boutique guitar left on someone's porch in a neighborhood like that?

I wrote the seller a couple of more times explaining all I had found out, which was not a lot. But I did surmise that he confused two packages, so he either shipped my guitar to the wrong address or he gave me the wrong tracking number. Now I wait for his response.

After a couple of hours of heart attack city, he writes back saying he indeed gave me the wrong tracking number. This morning, the new number states the package is now Out For Delivery.

Let's hope a guitar box arrives and not something else!

Thanks for listening and I'll update as soon as I know.

derekd, cmatthes and mwhy like this.
  2. El Vee

El Vee Member

I hope you don't have high blood pressure!

pirateflynn likes this.
  3. pirateflynn

4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

5. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Wow!!! :banana

pirateflynn likes this.
  6. iainmc

iainmc Member

That's Pretty! gold on gold - the patina of the gold foil makes it look worn without being cheesy.

15 years later I still love my Duo Glide - I have friends who think its the best sounding guitar they've ever heard.

pirateflynn likes this.
  7. pirateflynn

I bet I did for those couple of hours!

Thanks, and true. I had a guy on Instagram say: Man, that guitar has really been played! My reply: Not yet, but it will!

Glad you love yours. There's something unique about Saul's guitars, a certain crispness. It's hard to put my finger on that something, but it's there.

Thanks for the compliments. New strings, a quick setup, and I was off and running. Played pretty much all afternoon, experimenting, comparing with other guitars, etc. This one is remarkable, it's acoustically loud and balanced. Well defined, big bass notes, and sparkling high end that come across wonderfully amplified. I'm thinking the Schaller Signum bridge adds some immediacy to the delivery (maybe the ebony board, too), while the semi hollow body keeps it from being harsh at all. It's a wonderful mixture of assertiveness and resonance. The TV Jones Brian Setzer pickups are killer!

Saul has an amazing talent for design. Functional and beautiful.

I can't recommend Koll guitars highly enough. It's a no brainer. Killer product and super reliable.

Here's the back and the headstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

you could use a nice guitar for once...
    too many bad makers impinge on your classic tone

9. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Saul Koll is one of “the Dudes” sublime stuff, at all times. Plus he’s a great hang. He took stunning care of me with a vintage Les Paul, many years ago, and it was obvious right then, Dude friggen gets it big time. Look at that instrument, blazing!

10. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Great stuff, again, Ken!

pirateflynn likes this.
  11. derekd

derekd Member

That is a sexy beast!

What kind of finish is Saul using over the gold leaf?

pirateflynn likes this.
  12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Swank gold leaf badassery! :bow

pirateflynn likes this.
  13. pirateflynn

Music Emporium's website described it as 'barely there' finish. It looks and feels like a thin layer of low-sheen or matte finish to me - front, back, and neck. To the hand, it feels
    close to raw wood but not quite.

I agree! He's a top guy.
    Blazing is right! It's a mean machine for sure.

This baby has almost a Steampunk vibe. Either that or it was built alongside the Antikythera Mechanism (but preserved in a vault)! It's amazing, it looks archaic and brand new at the same time!

Thanks all. Enjoying it!

derekd and enharmonic like this.
  14. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Brother Jon and I had a nice hang with Saul just last night, in fact.

And hey, pirateflynn, nice score and welcome to the Klub!

rawkguitarist and pirateflynn like this.
  15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

16. singing6string

singing6string Supporting Member

Apart from the obvious incredible gold leaf finish on this guitar from Saul my favourite detail is the clear pickup surrounds that let you see through to the impeccable body routes for the pickups. It is again echoed with the truss rod cover as well & it's these well thought out details that make his guitar designs so brilliant. I love the fact that he's not afraid to hide these parts of the guitar that generally are covered up for aesthetic reasons. It speaks volumes about the quality of his work which I'm a firm believer in. Also the central figure on the back of the body is just out of this world. This guitar blew my mind when I saw the pictures after it was released at NAMM a couple of years back & every time I look at it even now it does the same thing.
    You have quite a Kollection now piratteflynn! Enjoy!

pirateflynn likes this.
  17. plexigary

plexigary Member

Congrats! This is one of my favorite builds of Saul's. The pickguard and truss rod cover material is from an old industrial light fixture covering, like something you'd see in a public school or at the DMV. And the gold and copper leaf has a thin layer of nitro over it, the leaf will continue to change/oxidize as you get more play wear on it. And that Korina back is just insane.

Enjoy!

rawkguitarist and pirateflynn like this.
  18. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member