• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

After a while, are you happy with your Squier Classic Vibe?

Tito83

Some time has passed, so did the honeymoon. Still loving it? What happend? What's your take on it?

I'm thinking about getting the tele, but I'm concerned to think it's cool in the beggining then regretting it... And it has happened a lot in the past.

So, after while, do you think it's worth it?

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member
I thought mine sounded good but in the end I sent it back. I am going to put together my custom tele from warmoth parts.

benjammin420

this doesnt exactly answer your question, but when shopping for a new guitar last year, i had it down to the Classic Vibe 60 or Classic Player 60. They were close in most ways (except price). In the end I went with the fender because it felt more "solid" (a bit heavier too, not in a bad way). But sometimes when i go in to get strings ill play a Classic Vibe to see how it compares, and Im glad I got the Fender.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the CV tele since August, got in on the "ground floor" mass purchase craze on the TelePage. I still marvel at the finish and the neck/fret work. It holds tune well, intonation stays put. My only comment is the pickups, I find the neck sorta bland and wish the bridge pup had more balls...I'm thinking of changing them for a set of Fender Nocasters and I'll replace the volume pot (it's range is about the first 1/3 of a turn, then it's total off) and the 3 way switch (starting to crackle between positions).

For the $260 I paid for it, it's still a gem and a fine player (better than the two MIM Standards and Hamer T51 I've had before)...hth

jaycee

Still enjoying mine after 6 months or so. The newness has definitely worn off but i still dig it. I am doing some upgrades though.

SoCalSteve

I've had my 50's Strat for close to 6 months now and it has become my favorite. I just put a GFS 10k Lil Killer in the bridge and it is, well, killer!

Love the stock neck and middle pickups. The build is fantastic.

Last edited:

rycher

I've had my CV Tele about 3 months now and as far as tele's go I still think it's a solid guitar, no issues. I use to have a Highway One and I actually prefer the CV to it. I am considering selling it though, not because it's not good, I'm just realizing I'm just not a tele guy, or single coil guy for that matter. I had to buy a strat with a humbucker in the bridge:)

coldfingaz

I'm 120% happy with my CV. It's been an Esquire since the very beginning and an Esquire (with no switch) it will remain.

Ask the same question in 5 years, and I'd wager to guess you'll get the same answer from me.

MSS

I have both the CV Telecaster and a CV 60's strat and they are both great guitars for the money. I've kept mine stock except for the strat (ditched the rosewood neck for maple and put in a single-ply PG). Great deals for the money IMO.

69strat

I have my Cv tele for four months... Sold all my other tele's... I love it just the way it is...

coldfingaz

im thinking of doing the same thing. did you keep the stock pickup, or swap it?

I swapped it out, but planned to before I ever bought it. The stock pup seemed fine, but the beautiful thing about Tele style bodies is you have about a billion pick up options and you don't have to spend a mint to upgrade. I went with a Harmonic Design S-90 because I've always loved them, but there's a ton of great choices depending on what you're going for. With all my upgrades (pup, switch, jack, pots, new switch-less control plate, etc.) I only have about $450 total into mine, but it's been solid as a rock & I absolutely love playing it still several months later since all the mods were done.

candid_x

After a torrid honeymoon I lost interest in the CV tele due to skinny neck instability issues. For the record, I'm not big pawed fat neck guy. In fact my main guitars are Music Man Silo Specials, both of which have, by most standards, smallish necks. Shame because for the most part I thought the build and sounds of the tele were really nice. If the neck was stouter and more stable, I'd still have it, even though I'm not a tele guy. Oh, I also didn't like the high gloss neck, which I matted with steel wool. The guitar was worth investing another $150 for beefier neck, but I didn't buy it as being more than a $300 guitar.

I'm still tempted to try the 50's and 60's CV strat, but the same applies regarding bridge/trem-block upgrades and high gloss neck.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
I love my tele. It is an esquire now with an antiquity bridge pickup, and it has an rs kit and an electrosocket jack. This little guitar has pushed itself to the front of the pack. Last week I ordered a 50s classic neck for it. I like the squier neck just fine, but I ordered this other neck. Im still not even sure why I ordered the new neck, but I do like that it is beefier, and I got it for a good price. I was perfectly happy with the guitar as it was though. I have the original pickups in a partsocaster I am putting together, and I like them just fine, but they will be replaced when my Don Mare pickup comes in. For now though, they do the job, and I will keep them around for the next time I put together a tele and need something to tide me over while I wait.

My .02 is you should buy a classic vibe. They are great guitars that look, play, and sound great right out of the box. You can change stuff and make them better, but even with all the changes I have done to mine, I would say it is only 20% or so better than it was when I pulled it out of the box.

flummox

Still love it, but mine developed a twist in the neck that keeps me from bringing the action as low as it was. I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty, I just haven't gotten around to bringing it in.

jturner

A year later and still lovin' my 50s CV. Wired the bridge pickup to the tone control and replaced the crap pickup selector switch and input jack with a Fender part.

jturner

Resurrecting this ancient thread just to add -- I still have my CV50, 10 years later!

In the past decade, I sold my '98 Fender American Deluxe, bought/sold another AmDlx 2006, an Eric Johnson strat, a Goldtop LesPaul with p90s and a many others. I've just never found anything I liked more that this "lowly" Squier.

maintenance:
In 2009, when the guitar was about a year old, I stripped the sunburst finish and sprayed a real nitro candy-apple red (white primer, silver metallic base then 2 coats of candy red) finish. I've replaced the pickup selector twice, three volume pots, two input jacks, and I had worn the frets out in a few spots where recrowning & leveling couldn't save them. I did a fret job in 2018, using Dunlop #6105 Jumbo wire, and that really improved the feel for blues bends. I can't find anything else that sounds better or suits me more.

I'll update you folks again in 2029. :D

Trending Topics