After Buying Several Expensive Tube Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Loudguitar, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Loudguitar

Loudguitar Member

I was humbled this weekend. Went to a wedding and they had a the usual wedding band. Guitar, bass, keys, drums, three "show" singers. All very good players. The guitarist played a HSS Strat through a silver stripe Peavey Bandit. No pedals, just straight into the amp. FANTASTIC tone! Clean, overdrive, and enough gain to do a spectacular version of Santana's "Europa". Of course, if this guy was a golfer, you would call him a sandbagger. He obviously was an accomplished player and this gig was an easy lift for him, but the amp tone blew me away. Got me to thinking that we tend to obsess over gear when we could do just fine with a lot less.

2. Alnicopu

Alnicopu Member

Its the human condition. We all want “just a little bit more”.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I agree - the gear game is fun, and sometimes a unique piece of gear is really helpful or necessary for certain applications, but a lot of the time, I don't need anything special.

• Amps: Some might call a Mark-series Mesa boutique / fancy, but my Mark III was $900 when I bought it. It sounds incredible and I love the added features over a comparable Fender (ie., a Twin or Showman), plus it costs less and will outlast any Fender!
    • Guitars: I just bought a $350 G&L Legacy that is comparable to any other guitar I've played. I did switch out the tuners for $30 Jinho Locking Tuners and the pickups for Dimarzio Areas, but for about $500, I have a guitar that is really hard to beat. I've owned some really boutique stuff and is awesome, but I definitely don't think you need to break the bank.
    • Pedals: I've had many boutique pedals, and there are some that really hold their place, like the Micro-Tron III I have really beats the big-name brands. However, Maxon/Ibanez and MXR and two of my favorite companies that I would take over boutique clones any day.

shredit, Tmidiman, MIM#1 and 5 others like this.
  4. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Toys Toys Toys, c’mon gear is fun...
    :)

5. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Other amps that would shock you. Vox pathfinder ss with reverb and 8" speaker. Dan electro nifty seventy. I love my tube amps but.

jefesq, rynlntg, rodbender and 6 others like this.
  6. rolandk

rolandk Member

A poor craftsman blames his tools... and then goes out and buys more expensive tools.

Nick Fotis, troy2003, wvpv and 24 others like this.
  7. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

It's all about the musicianship.
    This coming from a gear whore, but it's true.
    If you are a basement player that riffs all the old classics in Madison Square Basement when wifey isn't home you probably don't need a warehouse full of gear. But maybe you do?..

8. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

I saw that same band two weeks ago and that guy completely sucked through his Two Rock. Maybe the Bandit is the secret to all of this tone chasing..?

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I think this is a big factor.
    Guys complain that their tube amp can't keep up with a cheap SS amp, but they're running 20 pedals in front of it.

10. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

11. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Proper volume and standing 20ft back from the amp also helps.

Cgkindler, MrKite89, EarleG and 4 others like this.
  12. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Some of the best players I've heard use gear that many (most) would question, like a Bandit, until you hear these cats play... and it's usually from the wedding band & gospel church crowd. I've heard a Squier strat into a 1st gen POD that sounded better than Eric Johnson, and i'm not exaggerating...

13. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Bigtime sleeper!

jefesq, David Vee and lumberjack1 like this.
  14. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I saw "Peter Noone's Herman's Hermits" at a barbecue competition about ten years ago. Yes, it was amusing.
    Point though, is that that the band (clearly not Herman's Hermits but some young hired guys) walked on stage with very little fanfare, picked up their instruments, and went 123 bang. They started with Can't You Hear My Heartbeat - the guitarist was playing some no name pawn shop electric (a very 60's shagadelic Austin Powers looking thing) through a JC120. I didn't expect much, and then boom - that opening arpeggio with unbelievably clear and full tone, sounded just perfect. I could hear every note he played beautifully for the whole 40 minute set.

I chuckled when I saw them walk onstage thinking "these guys didn't even go for period correct Gretches and Voxes? Losers..." and they humbled me. The JC120 is not 2nd rate kit obviously, but it's not an amp that comes into the conversation when the topic is "vintage 60's tone machines." And yet it sounded great even in a context it's not know for.

Kudos to that guy for playing well and making the most out of an iffy gig. His tone was in his fingers.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This is axiomatic to anyone with any introspection. So nothing new in this thread... Great musicians have been making amazing music and have played countless gigs with gear many of us wouldn't enjoy playing. But that is where the rub is. There's plenty of gear that sounds great to *us* as we listen to someone else play it - but then when you play through it you can't stand it. I've experienced this first hand multiple times.

So - you can have this epiphany as you hear a guy making good music with a Peavey. Go grab one and see if it works for you when *you* have to play through it.

There is a significant difference between a Peavey solid state amp and say my Carol Ann head... its worth it to me to pay for the difference so *I* enjoy playing. The gear I choose has *always* been for me - the music I play is for the audience.

16. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

For the most part, I sound like me no matter what I play through. And the guy I play with always sounds like himself.
    Sure I can listen back to recordings and tell whether I'm playing a Les Paul or a Tele, but 90% of what I hear is my limited ability, and the last 10% of it is the amp, guitar, and pedals.
    I should be embarrassed about the amount of time and money I put into that 10%.

Riq, finnster, Oscar A and 9 others like this.
  17. Mentat

Mentat Member

I'm sure he sounded great and we could all probably get by with less. I like just plugging straight into an amp at home, or just some light to medium overdrive only. But a wedding band that plays Santana is nowhere near the room I want to be in, in a long hallway full of rooms.

But I think it's great that the guitarist can plug 'n' play.
    He more than likely just got sick of carrying all his stuff to boring wedding gigs over and over.

Abram4235 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:rotflmao

bradinnm likes this.
  19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

of course, now i really want to try a peavy bandit
    silver stripe, you say?
    HMMMMM
    I THINK keith urban used a peavy bandit
    maybe red stripe though

Dr.Lee, Matt117, wallinbb and 4 others like this.
  20. motokev

motokev Member

I agree, we really don't NEED the pricy gear. BUT, it's like any HOBBY one might LOVE. I know sicko's who buy a new truck every year. I know guy's who buy new motocross bikes every year and same with mountain bikes or road bikes and sooooo on.

I think we're LUCKY that there are so many TOYs to try.

Dr.Lee, GoGoRilla and drysideshooter like this.